Seen on eBay: Is this a Gold card?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
XorA
Site Admin

Re: Seen on eBay: Is this a Gold card?

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Maybe the Vampire II from the A600 could be fitted to the SGC... or maybe I am just daydreaming.
You would need them to implement the missing instructions which AmigaOS never uses but apparently QDOS does!

Peter has pointed this out before!

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Maybe the Vampire II from the A600 could be fitted to the SGC... or maybe I am just daydreaming.
Would rather be possible with GC, not SGC, because the the Vampire 600 V2 has a 68000, not 68020 socket. Probably changes inside the Vampire FPGA are needed, as well as software changes.
XorA wrote:You would need them to implement the missing instructions which AmigaOS never uses but apparently QDOS does!
Peter has pointed this out before!
Primarily I meant the risk of misimplemented instructions, rather than completely missing ones. Seeing this risk comes from experiences with free 68K FPGA cores for Amiga. The Vampire core is commercial - possible that more time had been invested in correct implementation. Someone started a little testing of the Vampire with QDOS Classic on Amiga, and it looks not too bad yet.

A new Q68-style FPGA implementation using the Apollo core is probably better than a hardware adaptor for the GoldCard. I am interested in looking at this. But I have little sparetime and the Q68 still has unfinished work like TCP/IP and ethernet software.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

The Amiga A600 has its 68000 soldered to the PCB. The Vampire has a socket that fits over the A600 CPU and 2 securing bolts to keep the two boards secure.

The Gold Card CPU is in a socket so will not physically fit the Vampire board, without some sort of converter.

So I have put it back on to the Amiga.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:The Gold Card CPU is in a socket so will not physically fit the Vampire board, without some sort of converter.
Yes, that's what I meant by hardware adaptor.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

There is a 68 pin PLCC adaptor made by Winslow Adaptics:

http://www.winslowadaptics.com/product. ... ctid=14494

BUt according to the data sheet, the length of the male plugs is between 16mm - 22mm, which does not fit in the QL case and the adaptor looks to expensive.

Regards,

Derek