UK Voted to Leave the EU

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

UK Voted to Leave the EU

Post by RWAP »

As you may have heard, the UK has now voted to leave the EU.

RWAP Software will continue to support the retro computer market wherever you are in the World, but there will be some undoubted impact on retro users in particular (mainly because of the fact that the traders are generally very small businesses who are not VAT registered).

There will now be a long period where the UK will have to try and negotiate new trade deals with every country in the world, but unfortunately, there will most assuredly be an impact on our customers around the world.

As a result of the referendum outcome, the pound has dropped dramatically in value, which does at least mean that overseas customers purchasing items from the UK traders will see lower prices for the time being. On the other hand, UK customers looking to purchase some of the excellent interfaces from the traders in Germany and Russia will see an increase in price.

In the longer term, at some point it does mean that those customers who are in the EU will find that they will have to pay VAT and handling fees on items they purchase from the UK (as with goods purchased from anywhere else outside of the EU). UK customers will also find that the UK will add VAT (or whatever tax it becomes) and handling fees added to goods purchased from EU traders.

This will have the result of an increase in the price you pay by up to 28% + around €10 (dependent on your country's VAT rate).

None of the free trade agreements will address this issue (as they only look at import tariffs which are charged on top of local taxes).

Paul
Gold Card

Re: UK Voted to Leave the EU

Post by Paul »

Hello Rich.
We can fully understand this.
At the moment I have nothing listed on SMR and might wait for a while until I can estimate the value of the pound on a bit longer term.
The value of the euro also dropped.
As most parts I buy are depending on the us$ their prices will also increase.
Maybe you could investigate the possibility to add different currencies in your SMR website.
If your fees are in % no conversion will be needed.
If I could sell in us$ I could pay the fees in dollar to you via PayPal and all will be fine.
We only need to select the currency sign.
And for reports you might need to group by currency.
I would very much like to keep SMR as my only selling platform.
Just a thought.
kind regards Paul

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

RWAP wrote:As you may have heard, the UK has now voted to leave the EU.

RWAP Software will continue to support the retro computer market wherever you are in the World, but there will be some undoubted impact on retro users in particular (mainly because of the fact that the traders are generally very small businesses who are not VAT registered).

There will now be a long period where the UK will have to try and negotiate new trade deals with every country in the world, but unfortunately, there will most assuredly be an impact on our customers around the world.

As a result of the referendum outcome, the pound has dropped dramatically in value, which does at least mean that overseas customers purchasing items from the UK traders will see lower prices for the time being. On the other hand, UK customers looking to purchase some of the excellent interfaces from the traders in Germany and Russia will see an increase in price.

In the longer term, at some point it does mean that those customers who are in the EU will find that they will have to pay VAT and handling fees on items they purchase from the UK (as with goods purchased from anywhere else outside of the EU). UK customers will also find that the UK will add VAT (or whatever tax it becomes) and handling fees added to goods purchased from EU traders.

This will have the result of an increase in the price you pay by up to 28% + around €10 (dependent on your country's VAT rate).

None of the free trade agreements will address this issue (as they only look at import tariffs which are charged on top of local taxes).
yes..very BAD thing...

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote:Hello Rich.
We can fully understand this.
At the moment I have nothing listed on SMR and might wait for a while until I can estimate the value of the pound on a bit longer term.
The value of the euro also dropped.
As most parts I buy are depending on the us$ their prices will also increase.
Maybe you could investigate the possibility to add different currencies in your SMR website.
If your fees are in % no conversion will be needed.
If I could sell in us$ I could pay the fees in dollar to you via PayPal and all will be fine.
We only need to select the currency sign.
And for reports you might need to group by currency.
I would very much like to keep SMR as my only selling platform.
Just a thought.
kind regards Paul
I have partly implemented a currency selection - but it is not as easy as that as people want to be able to get an estimate of the price in their local currency....

I just do not have the time at the moment...

Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

I would skip any conversions at the moment.
I wonder who would be ready to pay for this estimation.
It's time consuming to implement and just a gimmick or how my boss would say a "golden handle".
There was no estimation when I needed to pay in £. Why should there be one for € or $?
I can offer you help, but I doubt it's a good idea to give a seller extended rights or even view in your sources. But if you don't share these fears I am willing to help.
At least I'm a software developer ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

My wife and I like going to Majorca for hoildays, in jest she, if the UK comes out of the EU, we will bee moving to Espania...

Looks like this maybe another immigrant in Baleric Islands, starting up a new QL user group.

Of I thought this is only speculation, but the weather is better there than the UK.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Everyone is aware the referenda in the UK are not legally binding, and are treated as opinion, whatever the result?

Until the UK government initiate Article 40 (or is it 50) of the Lisbon Treaty, we are still in the EU, and nothing has changed except that the money men are busy making millions/billions yet again, at our expense.

I also heard, second hand and as yet unconfirmed, that The Netherlands and Sweden, plus some others, are now requesting a referendum about remaining in the EU too. I have no idea if this is a fact or not though.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

And should there be a general election, the new (Labour) govenment could just ignore the whole in/out mess, negotiatate a new deal, and then stay in. But that is just likely to be my dream rather than any prospect of becoming real...

P.S. Anyone got a time machine I can borrow?

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

1024MAK wrote:And should there be a general election, the new (Labour) govenment could just ignore the whole in/out mess, negotiatate a new deal, and then stay in. But that is just likely to be my dream rather than any prospect of becoming real...

P.S. Anyone got a time machine I can borrow?
Now EU don't want to negotiate to UK...is all clear.

UK decided to go out: stay out.

This is what EU think now...and It will be very hard to UK to live beside the other EX members of the EU.

The big mistake was just do it...they can't go back....or think like in Italy that when we vote and won a referendum...the governamente make the opposite...

UK governament was always serious...so will do what people want...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Everyone is aware the referenda in the UK are not legally binding, and are treated as opinion, whatever the result?

Until the UK government initiate Article 40 (or is it 50) of the Lisbon Treaty, we are still in the EU, and nothing has changed except that the money men are busy making millions/billions yet again, at our expense.

I also heard, second hand and as yet unconfirmed, that The Netherlands and Sweden, plus some others, are now requesting a referendum about remaining in the EU too. I have no idea if this is a fact or not though.

Cheers,
Norm.
Well, in those countries it's the right wingers calling for a referendum. If it makes the EU take a long hard look at itself and reform to reconnect with its people, fine. Maybe the people want a "common market" not a Union? Anyway, the breakdowns of voting in this country showed it was largely the Labour working class area which voted to leave (citing immigration, jobs, anti-establishmentism), while the more affluent and higher educated areas (establishment supporting) voted Remain. Proving perhaps it was less about the "E.U." as such, more about immigration, jobs etc. In other words, how did things start off in Nazi Germany in the 1930s?
I have read somewhere that tied up with all this is that there is a mechanism in place which allows for a second referendum if less than 75% vote and it was not a qualified majority - website set up to gather signatures to have this debated crashed almost immediately when it got overwhelmed. It might have been on Facebook, in which case I might treat it as usual Facebook thing to treat with a hefty pinch of salt, but I think it was on the BBC website somewhere.
I eventually voted to remain, but in the days before the referendum I felt very, very alone since almost everyone I knew around here - family and friends - disagreed with me. Still, the UK (well, 2 of the UK nations) voted to leave so we will now have to learn that we made our bed and will have to learn to lie in it, or it will tear the UK apart when half the nations go their own way, leaving the rump (England and Wales) behind. I see the Scots are already revolting ;)

Let's just hope that the QL remains international, that our friends throughout Europe continue to use QLs and not throw them out of the window as symbols of "flaming Britain" :cry: