Graphics program for SMSQ/E

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Graphics program for SMSQ/E

Post by desin »

Hello Andrew

lrespr win1_sys_qptr
ex win1_utl_paint

hope it helps

Markus

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Andrew wrote:
pjw wrote:There is DP's Eye-Q. Dont know if its any good (a long time since I used it) or if it works with SMSQ.
Where can I find Eye-Q? I could not find it on Dilwyn's site.
I guess its not freeware.
Andrew wrote:
pjw wrote:Qptr came with a sample paint program, paint_bas, I think.
Yes, it does. But if it's the same Paint that is bundled with QLE than it just crashes.
As I was saying.. I spent half an hour with it just now. With a bit of tweaking it can be made to RUN and EXecute under QPC2/SMSQmulator. (eg ensure program is running in mode 4 (havent tried 8) and QPC_QLSCREMU 4, etc) then at least one can see it in action. On large screens it doesnt quite understand where it is, so some of the menus cause it to crash (in a civilised way with out of range errors and the like, not the full Armageddon).

Its a great little program and has the potential to be good and useful if someone were to take it on. And learn a lot about Qptr on the way..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Unchanged, it should also still work on a plain QL with PE, and possibly on QPC2 etc in mode 4, 512x256.

For the rest, replace the top few lines with these to (sort of) get it to run under QPC2 in other configurations. My QPC2 was running in mode 32, 1920x1080. Before this tweak it used to totally crash QPC2, which sort of disincentivised me from playing with it:

Code: Select all

1000 cmpld=JOB$(-1)<>''
1002 rem $$chan=6
1004 rem $$heap=10240
1006 rem $$stak=512
1008 :
1012 prch=fopen("con_")
1014 drch=fopen('con_')
1016 drc2=fopen('scr_')
1018 :
1020 IF cmpld
1025   rem REMark $$asmb=flp2_stk,0,128 - SuperTK ?
1040   mxs=512-4:mys=256-2
1050   OUTLN #prch;mxs+4,mys+2,0,0
1060   rem IF NOT(cmd$='') THEN IF NOT(cmd$=RMODE) THEN MODE 32/RMODE
1070   CLS #prch:PRINT #prch;'Initialising...'
1080 ELSE 
1090   rem prch=1:drch=5:drc2=6
1100   rem OPEN #drch;'con':OPEN #drc2;'scr'
1110   mxs=400:mys=200
1120 END IF 
1130 :
1140 CLCHP:buffer=-1:cut_buffer=-1:buff_pat=-1
1150 :
1160 text=0:sprite=2:blob=4:patt=6
1170 retn=-256:retr=256
1180 do$=CHR$(2):cancel$=CHR$(3)
1190 rem md=RMODE:cwd=1.5*md
1192 md=4:cwd=1.5*md: QPC_QLSCREMU 4
It now, at least, runs from QD, and can be compiled and executed, so one can get an idea of how it works.

Oh yes, I also had to replace all instances of count with cnt, as COUNT is a keyword - on my system at least.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Qdesign, is included in QL/E, if you download the QL/E WIN file, look in: app_qdes_
Thank you Derek!
I have played with QLE before, but completely missed this program. And it's by far the best program, at least for SMSQE.
I spent 2 hours to understand how it works and then to figure out why it freezes when you change any options in the Status menu. It turns out that it works with menu_rext version 7.66, but would not work with the newer versions
I still have to figure out:
1. Why the help page is shown blank (The help file is loaded and the filename is corretly shown in the window, but it looks like the text is white on white background. )
2. How to create new patterns and load them ...

Does anyone have a QDesign manual?
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

pjw wrote:Unchanged, it should also still work on a plain QL with PE, and possibly on QPC2 etc in mode 4, 512x256.
Thank you! I'll give it a try then, it will also be a good exercise in understanding PE programming.
I only tried it before on QPC in 1024x768, and it totally crashed it.
pjw wrote:It now, at least, runs from QD, and can be compiled and executed, so one can get an idea of how it works.
How do you run a program from QD?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Andrew,

QD can run SBASIC programmes by using the QD/SBAS Thing to call the SBASIC interpreter, by pressing F10

QD must be configuted with Menuconfig to use the QD/SBAS Thing. Or use the \T switch in the command line.

A couple points, the QD/SBAS Thing calls a multitasking SBASIC interpreter and locks the QD editor while running.

The SBADIC programme should open its own channels, otherwise the SBASIC interpreter will open a single channel for Channel 0.

This is not a problem, as I usually open CON or SCR channels seperate from the main Channels 0-2.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

OK, I didn't know it's already contained in QL/E, so I actually managed to track down the author of QDesign, Jörg Schiemann, who has graciously agreed to make it freely available. I have added the latest version v4.04 to my QPCDemo.win and also attached a ZIP here. Unfortunately the source code for it doesn't exist anymore (he has since moved from Germany to Australia so no wonder he didn't take a suitcase full of floppy discs with him ;) ). So for the time being it is unfortunately mode 4 only as he does some direct screen accesses on some operations.

Does anybody want to spend some time decompiling it? ;)
Attachments
qdesign_v4.04.zip
(290.3 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

mk79 wrote:OK, I didn't know it's already contained in QL/E, so I actually managed to track down the author of QDesign, Jörg Schiemann, who has graciously agreed to make it freely available. I have added the latest version v4.04 to my QPCDemo.win and also attached a ZIP here. Unfortunately the source code for it doesn't exist anymore (he has since moved from Germany to Australia so no wonder he didn't take a suitcase full of floppy discs with him ;) ). So for the time being it is unfortunately mode 4 only as he does some direct screen accesses on some operations.
Great piece of work! Got potential!
mk79 wrote:Does anybody want to spend some time decompiling it? ;)
Yes, that would be great! (But include me out) ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I will have a look at decompling Qdesign, I not done decompilation before, maybe time learn...

Regards,

Derek
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

I see that eight other people have downloaded the zip file...

Has anyone managed to execute the 'QDesign' file in the BOOT file yet ? (using QPC2).

I get as far as line 65, where I get a 'bad parameter' signalled, but can't find a workaround !

If I succeed, I will report back.

Steve.