A number of noob questions - sorry!!

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Re: A number of noob questions - sorry!!

Post by roninfourseven »

tofro wrote:You may want to read this (especially the part about QDOS file headers and unpacking QL zip files never on a PC).

Your mdump_exe file header can be repaired with (You're saying you got TK2, so this should work)

Code: Select all

10 len = FLEN(\flp1_mdump_exe)
20 a = ALCHP (len)
30 LBYTES flp1_mdump_exe,a
40 SEXEC flp1_mdump1_exe,a,len,8192
After this, the header should be repaired and mdump1_exe should be properly executable.
Thanks so much, I will try this out, I may have messed it up unzipping on PC, noob error.

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

roninfourseven wrote:
stephen_usher wrote:How did you get the program onto the QL. It sounds as if it may not have the "Resource Fork", as it would be called on the Mac, half of the file, only the "Data Fork". The RF holds meta data such as the file type and the stack size etc.
Noob error I think, I unzipped the files on PC :(
Actually, I've gone back over my steps, and I didn't unzip them on the PC, I simply used the Windows installer for Q-Emulator which is am MSI installer and puts the files in a folder in the windows file structure.

I then used wxqt2 to copy the files to a QL formatted disk from their location, so if the files were broken, they were broken before.

I'm also having fun and games with TK2. It says version 2.23 on boot, but when I try and run some of the commands it doesn't work.

I tried to follow this: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html Specifically the Toolkit 2 section, but I've not been able to make it work as it seems to be referring to the BIN file on disk and not the ROM version.

If I type tk2_ext and hit return, it does do 'something' in that I can use some of the TK2 commands. For example CLCHP works, but ALCHP comes back as 'bad name'.

So I'm doing something fundamentally wrong and being driven mad because whenever I search on google I go round in circles and don't seem to be able to get a straight answer!!

I'm too tired now, so going to bed and will have a rethink tomorrow night.

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

roninfourseven wrote:
tofro wrote:You may want to read this (especially the part about QDOS file headers and unpacking QL zip files never on a PC).

Your mdump_exe file header can be repaired with (You're saying you got TK2, so this should work)

Code: Select all

10 len = FLEN(\flp1_mdump_exe)
20 a = ALCHP (len)
30 LBYTES flp1_mdump_exe,a
40 SEXEC flp1_mdump1_exe,a,len,8192
After this, the header should be repaired and mdump1_exe should be properly executable.
Thanks so much, I will try this out, I may have messed it up unzipping on PC, noob error.
I tried and failed, ALCHP doesn't do anything other than say 'bad name', and as per my other post, my TK2 is in ROM, but I seem to be making a fundamental mistake in trying to make it run.

Time for bed, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Try this:
mdump.zip
mDump
(12.14 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Which is the mDump_task file copied into a QDOS environment, then zipped up.

Please unzip this file in a QL file system, not a PC / MAC file system.

Regards,

Derek
roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

Ok, progress at last this morning.

I downloaded mdump from Simone Voltolini from the link on his website: https://sinclairql.wordpress.com/

It came as a floppy image file and I used an old Windows 7 laptop to write to an autobooting floppy. I can now get this far:
IMG_20211112_085018.jpg
So I'll pop the Minerva ROM out and the originals back in for the duration whilst I try and preserve my carts.

Thanks for all the help folks, it really is appreciated.

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Try this:
mdump.zip

Which is the mDump_task file copied into a QDOS environment, then zipped up.

Please unzip this file in a QL file system, not a PC / MAC file system.
Awesome, thanks Derek, I just missed your post as I was writing my latest update. I'll download anyway as a backup :)

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

roninfourseven wrote:
Chr$ wrote:Use mdump_task to create images of the real carts.
I've been able to get mdump_task from the latest version of Q-Emulator, and I've also managed to get it over onto floppy using wxqt2, but....

If I try to execute with the info from here: http://qxl.win/ql_cartridge_recovery.htm, all I get is 'bad parameter'
If you can use Q-emuLator to copy mdump_task to the QL floppy, it will do all necessary conversions and it will work.

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

roninfourseven wrote: I downloaded mdump from Simone Voltolini from the link on his website: https://sinclairql.wordpress.com/
That's a beta version. The latest one has a number of fixes.

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

M68008 wrote:
roninfourseven wrote: I downloaded mdump from Simone Voltolini from the link on his website: https://sinclairql.wordpress.com/
That's a beta version. The latest one has a number of fixes.
Thank you.

roninfourseven
ROM Dongle

Post by roninfourseven »

M68008 wrote:
roninfourseven wrote:
Chr$ wrote:Use mdump_task to create images of the real carts.
I've been able to get mdump_task from the latest version of Q-Emulator, and I've also managed to get it over onto floppy using wxqt2, but....

If I try to execute with the info from here: http://qxl.win/ql_cartridge_recovery.htm, all I get is 'bad parameter'
If you can use Q-emuLator to copy mdump_task to the QL floppy, it will do all necessary conversions and it will work.
I don't unfortunately have a licensed version of Q-Emulator, so I will have to see if that is possible.

In the meantime I have managed to get the beta version I downloaded working and have been able to image the utility cart that came with my Minerva upgrade.

I'm in the process of repairing the pads on all my other carts before attempting to image them.