Trying to initiate TKII

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Trying to initiate TKII

Post by lowrybt »

Hello,

I'm working with an original BBQL to which a Cumana floppy interface (1.16) and Miracle Expanderam (512K) are attached. I'm trying to launch TKII from floppy using the following command right after power-up and F1:

100 base=RESPR(16384):LBYTES FLP1_Tk2_Ext,base:CALL base

The TK2 file definitely starts to load but invariably the process leads to a reset and hang (looking at the multi-colored hash screen that one sees right after hitting the reset button). Before going any further, should I try the command that takes into account the 6-byte word offset for TK2 ROM images? I don't think the Expanderam has any toolkit type ROM but the Cumana interface definitely has a early version of Toolkit onboard (that is not sub-directory aware),

Thanks, Tom

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: Trying to initiate TKII

Post by janbredenbeek »

lowrybt wrote:Hello,

I'm working with an original BBQL to which a Cumana floppy interface (1.16) and Miracle Expanderam (512K) are attached. I'm trying to launch TKII from floppy using the following command right after power-up and F1:

100 base=RESPR(16384):LBYTES FLP1_Tk2_Ext,base:CALL base

The TK2 file definitely starts to load but invariably the process leads to a reset and hang (looking at the multi-colored hash screen that one sees right after hitting the reset button). Before going any further, should I try the command that takes into account the 6-byte word offset for TK2 ROM images? I don't think the Expanderam has any toolkit type ROM but the Cumana interface definitely has a early version of Toolkit onboard (that is not sub-directory aware),
You must indeed take into account the word offset at base+6, so CALL base+PEEK_W(base+6) should do.
I know about disk interfaces that have a cut down version of TKII on ROM, but as ROM space is limited (16K or even 8K, which includes FLP driver code and I/O space) it's often limited to just file handling commands.

Jan

Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: Trying to initiate TKII

Post by Martin_Head »

I'm not familiar with the Cumana interface. But with reference to your other thread. If you are trying to get subdirectory support and RAM disks. Then just updating TKII is almost certainly not going to work.

You would need a new FLP driver in ROM that supports level 2, or 3 to get subdirectories, and a separate RAM driver, which could be strored in RAM. To get RAM disks