Floppy drives misbehaving

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Floppy drives misbehaving

Post by lowrybt »

I have started having a persistent issue with copying from one drive (HD/DD) to another (HD/DD) connected to a SGC with Toolkit II running. I have tested two separate sets of drives known to be functional and the problem remains. Basically, if I try to WCOPY files from FLP1_ to FLP2_, the system defaults to copying files to a new directory on FLP1 named FLP2_ instead of copying and writing files to the FLP2 drive. So,

WCOPY FLP1_ to FLP2_ results in the system copying files to FLP1_FLP2_

Any thoughts on the potential source of the issue. Am I using incorrect syntax or could this herald the potential demise of the floppy controller on the the SGC?

Thanks, Tom

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Floppy drives misbehaving

Post by tofro »

To determine if its a software or hardware problem what you see: What happens if you do a straight "dir flp2_" ?

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

lowrybt wrote:WCOPY FLP1_ to FLP2_ results in the system copying files to FLP1_FLP2_
A general problem with TK2 default directories. If the target device isn't there, TK2 think, this is a directory name.

This can lead to very unsightly results. As in this case.

Seems to be a problem with your snd. floppy device.

4E75 7000
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

The floppy controller itself failing is the least probability - There's not many functions on there that are drive-specific (that is, the main part of the function is shared between all connected drives) - It is much more likely that your floppy cable (or its connectors) is at fault, as that has been moved about and stressed for thirty years now... If you can absolutely be sure both drives are working properly, the first I did would be exchange the cabling.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by lowrybt »

Thanks Tobias.

DIR FLP1_ or DIR FLP2_ prompts the correct drives to attempt a directory read. Same is true for Format command.

I will swap out the cable to see if that helps. I am also wondering if the sensors that detect DD, HD and ED disks are an issue. These sensors depend on various notches on disks being located just so -- with 1 millimeter tolerances. It could be that the drives are flaky, the disks are cheapo. One other observation: one of the ED-capable drives is Mitsubishi, the others are Teac. I've never used the Jiggle command but maybe I should try it. Thanks.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

lowrybt wrote:Thanks Tobias.

DIR FLP1_ or DIR FLP2_ prompts the correct drives to attempt a directory read. Same is true for Format command.
If you clear the defaults (PROG_USE "": DATA_USE "") WCOPY should access the real FLP2 and report any write problems.

BSJR

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have hot a Tetroid Super Gold card working on a QL with Tetroid power board to replace the QL power regulator and heat sink, now no heat.

I have twin HD Disk drives, which loads SMSQ/E in on boot up from FLP1. Copying from FLP1 to FLP2 works perfectly.

I do not have any ED drives so can not comment on the ED disk access.

But I remember Mike Thomlinson from Miracle Systems saying that the FLP_JIGGLE command was only required on a ED Disk drive set as FLP2. He also indicated that the ED Disk Drive head would be damage if it was set as FLP2 , if the FLP_JIGGLE command was not used.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Derek_Stewart wrote: But I remember Mike Thomlinson from Miracle Systems saying that the FLP_JIGGLE command was only required on a ED Disk drive set as FLP2. He also indicated that the ED Disk Drive head would be damage if it was set as FLP2 , if the FLP_JIGGLE command was not used.
Strange that his warning did not find it's way in the official SGC manual.
That states it applies to Mitsubishi ED drives only. An FLP_JIGGLE 1 would work for all connected drives and is remembered by the SGC for the next BOOT. Any other brand of drive can then be excluded by FLP_JIGGLE D,0, where D is the drive number. This is not remembered and should be set in the BOOT before accessing these drives.

I also remember using FLP_STEP n or FLP_STEP D,n for old DD drives on my GoldCard, again global and local.
This is only mentioned in the GC manual and thus seems not to be needed for the SGC.

BSJR