Copying subdirectory structure and contents

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Copying subdirectory structure and contents

Post by lowrybt »

Hello,

Returning to QL use after a span of years. Running a QL with SGC and two floppy drives. Using WCOPY does not seem to copy over subdirectories. Is there a certain syntax (or different command) to achieve that result? Is it simply that WCOPY copies the contents of the current directory and nothing more?

Thanks, Tom

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Copying subdirectory structure and contents

Post by tofro »

Tom,

yes, WCOPY does not copy directory trees and has no option to do so.

If you want something that has UNIXes "cp -r" behavior and walks directory trees to copy, you can have the real thing: There's a QDOS port of "cp" that does this as part of the C68 package.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

lowrybt wrote:Hello,

Returning to QL use after a span of years. Running a QL with SGC and two floppy drives. Using WCOPY does not seem to copy over subdirectories. Is there a certain syntax (or different command) to achieve that result? Is it simply that WCOPY copies the contents of the current directory and nothing more?
The simple way is to use DUP, DDOWN to navigate through existing directories and update the DATAD$ default.
Then use MAKE_DIR to create new directories in the current sub.
It's also possible to use MAKE_DIR afterwards, then any prefix that matches the dir-name will become a directory.
This however wastes some extra disk space.
There are backup programs around that can ease the process. Norback or TGback come to mind.
Also some Pointer programs can be used like Cueshell http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/files/index.html
or Backup http://www.wlenerz.com/QLStuff/.

BSJR

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Hi !

Good news, yesterday, I just returned from my confinement in the Alps !

Concerning directories, I tried them with my Tetroid card (before, I had only 720k floppies and did not really need them), but after experimenting, I am dubtious of their interest.

What I noticed (and disappointed me !) is that a given directory may only contain up to 127 files or subdirectories, and what I guessed (?) is that it might use some RAM.

Whereas, without making directories, you can already use the "W" instructions of QDOS toolkits to select file prefixes in file names.

So what's really the use ? maybe access speed ? I rather don't care much. And what exactly does it do with RAM ? This, I care a lot, I have "only" 896k on board of my "BBQLs with Tetroid" !

POLKa

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa