n00b question about the mouse and QL/E for TDI

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: n00b question about the mouse and QL/E for TDI

Post by guibrush »

Hi, I come back to you, as I received the Microsoft serial mouse 2A, the same given as compatible by ajb.

But I still have the same bevahior : the cursor is jumping from one point to another en eventually click as I only move the mouse. I tried the Microsoft mouse with and without the right click at boot.

Now I'm really stuck, I have no idea what I do wrong.
If I sum up : I have now the "3 Tasten SERMouse V2.06" installed and launched by default at startup, I wired an adapter with the wiring diagram given here :
https://imgur.com/HeTxhZr
I'm connected on the SER2 plug of the Sinclair QL
I even tried another QL that we have here, and always the same, and I tried 4 different mouse, including the Microsoft one given as compatible.

Can you help me understand this ?

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

On my QL it only worked with sermouse 3.03 (with 3.04 it was jumping - have not tried 2.06)
You can download the configured driver on Dillwyn's page http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/sermouse303.zip
It is configured for use with Hermes

guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

ho, that's mean that I have a pretty old version of the driver on the image, ok.

Is there a way to copy files on the compact flash ? I have no acces right now over the system from the outside.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

guibrush wrote:Is there a way to copy files on the compact flash ? I have no acces right now over the system from the outside.
Sorry, I do not know. I use a vDriveQL do move the files on the QL that has no floppy interface - and the floppy drive on the one that has.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

guibrush wrote: Is there a way to copy files on the compact flash ? I have no acces right now over the system from the outside.
There's more info on using Habi Drive image to create an image of the CF card and writing files to it, here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3124&start=10&hilit=drive+image+cf

Personally I find that it usually works for files when used on an original QL, but I must admit a simple floppy disk or vDrive is much easier (if you have those!).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

Thank you very much, Habi looks to be exactly what I need !
I managed to mount the .img that sits on the CF card / QL, now I supose that I have to copy the driver that Andrew gave me on it.

I have this filesystem :
https://imgur.com/jrdDG0U

Can you point me where to put the driver ? (I know, I ask many obvious things, but I never used a QL before... Apollogies).

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

It doesn't matter too much where you put it, as long as your boot file (or the text you enter if you type it in manually) points to it, e.g.: 'LRESPR WIN1_path_filename'. In the 'sys' directory is probably a good idea. And you'll need to make sure Toolkit 2 is enabled before entering the LRESPR (I think that may have been covered).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have same hardware, Tetroid TDI CF Card, I use the Habi editor to transfer software to the CF Card, which works well.

I usually write my own boot files, but I am interested to see how the QL/E implementation runs on the Tetroid TDI.

I do not use a serial mouse, but I have a couple mouse(s) running about the computer room, I see if I can catch one and connect it to the QL.

Regards,

Derek
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

ok, I found the old driver in the sys drawer and replaced it with the driver given by Andrew. I found that I have to use the QL header option in Habi. Now I have the driver version 3.03 installed.

But the behavior is still the same :-(

I foud another mouse that have a swich under it, and this one work better, meaning I can moove the pointer, but the mouse is still shaky and not much usable.

this thing drive me crazy :-)
In the package of the 3.03 sermouse, there is another file called "2buttons mouse". But the manual don't tell if we can load another driver or tweak something.

I newer tought that having a mouse working on a QL could be so challenging.

@ Derek: thanks for your help, much appreciated. If you could find something that' works, it would be fantastic!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

guibrush wrote: I newer tought that having a mouse working on a QL could be so challenging.
If this may help, there is a topic about Sermouse compatible mice. There is a link and some photos. The list is rather short for the moment, but I hope it will increase.

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... ist#p32622