What Editor is best to use ?

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
User avatar
Giorgio Garabello
Trump Card
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:39 am
Location: Turin, ITaly
Contact:

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Giorgio Garabello » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Andrew wrote:I am writing some code now - and I would love a better editor.
So - what editor do you recommend ?


MicroEMACS is the most powerful text editor available for our platform.
http://www.hunggartorino.it/ql/microema ... ulti-edit/

Giorgio


Andrew
Trump Card
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Regarding the QED problem - the drives are mapped correctly. And I get the same error regardless of the drive type (Mdv_, flp_, win_). Tonight I will document the issue and make some screen captures, so you can test if you can reproduce the issue on your system.

The Editor - I downloaded the latest version - 3.07. It loads and works. But I cannot change the configuration - the configuration program does not recognizes Editor as the correct version to be configured.
I did not had time to check the code - but at first glance the configuration program reads bytes 10 to 16 from the Editor and then checks if they form the string "Editor"
In version 3.07 the string "Editor" starts at byte 12 or 14 (i do not remember exactly and had no time to check)


User avatar
janbredenbeek
Gold Card
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby janbredenbeek » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Andrew wrote:Regarding the QED problem - the drives are mapped correctly. And I get the same error regardless of the drive type (Mdv_, flp_, win_). Tonight I will document the issue and make some screen captures, so you can test if you can reproduce the issue on your system.

I've tested it on Qemulator and was able to read a file successfully from mdv2_ when mapped to a Windows directory (could not test .WIN or .MDV files, my copy is not registered).
When you get something like mdv1_ prepended to a given filename this means that QED can't open the directory containing the filename as given so it prepends the TK2 default directory and tries again. One question - were you able to get a listing using DIR mdv2_ then?

Jan.


Andrew
Trump Card
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes, I could get a listing using dir mdv2_ and I could load mdv2_file_bas and edit it with ED
When I get home from work I will redo all the steps and test again

Andrei


Andrew
Trump Card
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 pm

janbredenbeek wrote:
Andrew wrote:Regarding the QED problem - the drives are mapped correctly. And I get the same error regardless of the drive type (Mdv_, flp_, win_). Tonight I will document the issue and make some screen captures, so you can test if you can reproduce the issue on your system.

I've tested it on Qemulator and was able to read a file successfully from mdv2_ when mapped to a Windows directory (could not test .WIN or .MDV files, my copy is not registered).
When you get something like mdv1_ prepended to a given filename this means that QED can't open the directory containing the filename as given so it prepends the TK2 default directory and tries again. One question - were you able to get a listing using DIR mdv2_ then?

Jan.


Ok - now I have more info:

TEST 1 - Load file from win3_

Step 1: attached QED to win2_, mdv2_, flp2
attached directory wit the basic file to win3_, mdv3_, flp3_
Result :OK

Step 2: test dir on win3_, mdv3_, flp3_ : Result :OK
Image

Step 3: Start QED and enter the filename
Image

Result: NOT OK
File is not loaded - and the filename entered has win1_ added in front of the name
Image

TEST 2 - Load file from win1_

Same as Test 1, but the file was in win1_. Same result NOT OK
Image
Image
Image

TEST 3 - Load file from win1_, but input file name without the preceding drive
Image

Result: Now it gets interesting. The file is automatically pre=fixed with mdv1_ and it is loaded, but at first it is not shown on screen
Image

But scrolling down past the first screen the text is starting to show:
But first 18 lines are not shown (or maybe they were shown but written with red ink on red paper ??, so the first screen just looked empty ??)
Image

But if you scroll back up the text is starting to be messed up with the text fro the first row (probably because of the window size bug that was fixed)
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.


RWAP
RWAP Master
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:51 pm
Location: Stone, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby RWAP » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Maybe try extracting the files from the QED zip before running it - it might be something with the zip file being read only causing an issue..


Andrew
Trump Card
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 pm

RWAP wrote:Maybe try extracting the files from the QED zip before running it - it might be something with the zip file being read only causing an issue..

I extracted QED - but it works exactly the same.


Andrew
Trump Card
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 pm

I downloaded from github the new version
When I try to load win3_edt_config307_bas QED tries to create the file mdv2_win3_edt_config307_bas :?
(Qed is in win1_ )

Image


Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby Derek_Stewart » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Andrew,

When you say the drives are mapped correctly, can you show the drive mapping or maybe upload the Q-Emulator config file here so that we can see what you have setup.

I have attached a QXL.WIN file to Slot 1,2,3 which translates to MDV1(FLP1,WIN1),MDV2(FLP2,WIN2),MDV3(FLP3,WIN3), I have defined this in the Q-Emulator setup.

I have tested all editors which work correctly, which include:

QED, QED120c
DME
ELVIS
EditorSE
MircroEMACS (Pointer Environment required)
QD (Pointer Environment required) - Note commerical
Editor with BCPL, PorPascal, ProFortran

The only problems I had was when attaching a ZIP file, but that is not a error, as the ZIP file is read only and can not create a new file in the ZIP file. Or maybe that can be done as well.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
janbredenbeek
Gold Card
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands

Re: What Editor is best to use ?

Postby janbredenbeek » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Andrew wrote:I downloaded from github the new version
When I try to load win3_edt_config307_bas QED tries to create the file mdv2_win3_edt_config307_bas :?
(Qed is in win1_ )

I've not been able to reproduce the problem on Qemulator. What kind of medium was win3_ mapped to (Windows directory or MDV/WIN file)? Was it perhaps read-only?

Jan.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests