Installing SMSQ/E on BBQL+gold card

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Installing SMSQ/E on BBQL+gold card

Post by jivrt »

I'm happy to report that my random failures to link win1 on boot were resolved with using the CF card provided by Tetroid. So it wasn't the Jm rom.

Now I'm having trouble to install SMSQ/E . For this I installed Tetroid gold card clone and downloaded the source files from the SMSQ website
I have on one floppy the file gold card.bin and qpac2
First the boot program activates tk2, then
The boot program lrespr first goldcard.bin , nothing happens, then qpac2 and the system crashes

I have read the SMSQ/e manual, searched the forum, read QL today but still don't know what I am doing wrong.
I'm still using Jm rom since I haven't installed yet the rom switcher because I'm afraid my perfectly working 1984 keyboard membrane will fail after I Open my virginal QL
Thank you for your help
Juan

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Installing SMSQ/E on BBQL+gold card

Post by tofro »

What exactly does "system crashes" mean? SMSQ/E does a cold boot that takes a while and might look like a "crash" to the uninitiated.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

tofro wrote:What exactly does "system crashes" mean? SMSQ/E does a cold boot that takes a while and might look like a "crash" to the uninitiated.

Tobias
Hi Tobias.
You are right I’m very uninitiated. Of course there is this cold boot with stripes on the screen then a monitor window with stippled borders. So far so good, QL is responsive and working. I cant tell if I’m in smsq/e but I assume so. But when I lrespr qpac2 the QL Freezes and becomes unresponsive. When I do the same on qemulator I can use pointer enviroment and can call some windows, I’m still learning to use it. Probably I’m loading things wrong and should write a proper boot file.
My objective is to tinker with sbasic and be able to call easily some programs like games , archiver control panel, etc.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

You can verify you really are in SMSQ/E when

PRINT VER$

returns "HBA"

Tobias

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

tofro wrote:You can verify you really are in SMSQ/E when

PRINT VER$

returns "HBA"

Tobias
Yes you’re correct. When I did it in qemulator it indeed was HBA. I will try again in the QL. It seems the qpac2 I’m lrespr is a directory because in qemulator there is a subdirectory —> qpac2_english but in the floppy with goldcard there wasn’t any —> and I lrespr qpac2 only. Its funny because gold card should see level 2 directories. I’ll keep tinkering
Thanks!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

You also need to ensure that you are not trying to LRESPR wman, hot_rext and ptr_gen when SMSQ/e is loaded.

Are you loading anything else using a=RESPR(xxx):LBYTES win1_test,a: CALL a ?

Often this is where a crash happens because xxx is not big enough following an update to a toolkit.

Maybe share your boot file so we can see it?

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

Thank you Rich!

I'm aware that those 3 files aren't needed for smsqe.

I'm beginning to experiment with a boot file after reading all those articles about them in QL today.
For now it's a minimalistic one just to experiment

Tk2_ext
Lrespr flp1_goldcard_bin
Lrespr flp1_qpac2

Then I will work with my way through the hot keys and maybe use launchpad

Maybe my qpac2 file is wrong

Saluti

Juan

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

jivrt wrote:You are right I’m very uninitiated. Of course there is this cold boot with stripes on the screen then a monitor window with stippled borders. So far so good, QL is responsive and working. I cant tell if I’m in smsq/e but I assume so. But when I lrespr qpac2 the QL Freezes and becomes unresponsive. When I do the same on qemulator I can use pointer enviroment and can call some windows,
Just a thought. Are you trying to use the same copy of QPAC2 that you are using with Qemulator?

Depending on where the Qemulator copy of QPAC2 is stored, and how you are copying it. It may have a Qemulator header added to it, which would almost certainly crash SMSQ/E when you try to LRESPR it.

Before you try to LRESPR QPAC2, Use VIEW the qpac2 file and look to see if at the start of the files it says "]!QDOS File Header"

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Martin_Head wrote: Depending on where the Qemulator copy of QPAC2 is stored, and how you are copying it. It may have a Qemulator header added to it, which would almost certainly crash SMSQ/E when you try to LRESPR it.
In case the binary really has a header attached, Q-Emulator is doing something wrong. QPAC2 is not an executable job and doesn't necessarily need a header.

Tobias

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

When I lrespr goldcard_bin and then print ver$ I get HBA.
So SMSQE is loaded and working

By the way, my QL always has been silent but only when I load SMSQE it starts buzzing around the zone of the power regulator and becomes somewhat warm. If I dont use SMSQE therevis no buzzing.

Well then the qpac2 file if copied to scr shows
IMG_0128.JPG
There is an english, french and german file. But if I dir flp1 there is no subdirectory, only qpac2.

If I dont use qpac2 can I use QDT (ql desktop) on a bbql+goldcard?