QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Andrew
Aurora

Re: QL Tinkering

Post by Andrew »

Great piece of software - and really great documentation !

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Really very nice, Qbits :)
According to the counters, the program has been downloaded 21 times, while the pdf languishes at about 6, at the time of writing. When I downloaded, the zip counter incremented, but the pdf counter did not, so I think theres something going on there..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

pjw wrote:Really very nice, Qbits :)
According to the counters, the program has been downloaded 21 times, while the pdf languishes at about 6, at the time of writing. When I downloaded, the zip counter incremented, but the pdf counter did not, so I think theres something going on there..
Hi,

I downloaded the PDF, it was the best part of the package.

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

hi,
I've made a couple of tweeks to my QBSoundsv4. When (P)laying through the pages the page notes are now changed inline with what is being played.

My SuperBASIC code tinkering I now carry out using the QPC2 emulator so just for fun and as a help to myself
I have updated my QBFTidy to handle SubDIRectories and added a MAKE SubDIR function.

I have started an updated pdf on the QBFTIdy_v6 but its not finished...

QBITS
Attachments
QBQLSoundsv4.zip
(7.46 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
QBFTidy_v6.zip
(5.66 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
QBFTidy.jpg

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Very nice!
Thank you

qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi All,
Busy people have busy minds my father used to say. In keeping busy my family being avid readers have produced a few books of their own over the years, some of which I have had the privilege to edit and format. Some years back I even managed to put together a collection of short stories, a couple of crime novels and a Sci Fi Trilogy. The later recently prompted me with the possibility of using it as the background to a New Game.

I was then reminded that I had made-up my own Font set for its fictional ancient script. That and the thought it might require a few Sprites, what can I say, dabbling in QL SuperBASIC and SBASIC coding has become a diversion I quite enjoy. Many thanks to the hours put in by all those involve with their creation and documentation.

However here’s my latest endeavour - QBITS BITMap Design. Any errors on my part with the code I’m sure someone will put me right. Look forwarded to any constructive advice as usual.

As to the New Game is in its infancy, basically just a few ideas, but hopefully something a-maz-ing will come out of it!

QBITS
Attachments
QBBMDesign_QL.zip
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
QBBMDesign.pdf
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 178 times
QBITS BITMap.jpg

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

This looks excellent, and those graphics at the end too! :o I'll have to go this a go :)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Excellent piece of work, I foundbthe dicussion on bitmaps very interesting.

I have been porting Spectrum games to the QL, well the Q68 mainly. I was stumpted at the lack of user defined graphics (UDGs). A possiible solution was to refine a font with the 8x8 characters redefined for the UDGs. But this was a little unsatisfactory.

There is a Sinclair rountine to redefine individual character, but it would really work too well.

I had thought SBASIC getting in the way of proper game sprite animation and the best approach would programmed in assembler.

The QBITS sprite definitions look a better solution.

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi Seasonal Greetings - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

I haven’t any figgie pudding for you but maybe this will be acceptable instead.

It’s been a busy year and I haven’t had as much time as I would like pursuing my interest in QL BASIC. Some ideas did start to gel earlier in the year, but it’s only the last month or so I’ve managed to high jack some hours and put in some work on them. I hope you enjoy the result and if you come across any bugs suggest any fixes. It was written using the QPC2 emulator and further checked with the QL2K emulator. It may well run on a standard QL with additional memory be it very slow. About 50 times original QL clocking and it should be presentable by modern day standards.

QBITS
Attachments
QBMazeQPC_v04.zip
(19.07 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
QBMazeQPCDec2019.pdf
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
01 Maze.jpg
02 Maze.jpg

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Oh wow, what a treat :) And my lunchtime reading sorted too! Great to see you are still producing superb QL programs :) Happy Christmas!