Quanta - the Sinclair QL User Group

A collection of QL services and websites.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Quanta - the Sinclair QL User Group

Post by RWAP »

Quanta -The Independent User Group for the Sinclair QL
Quanta -The Independent User Group for the Sinclair QL
quantalogo_200px.gif (3.71 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
QUANTA is the independent user group for Sinclair QL users. It was formed in February 1984 with the aim of providing an independent source of support for, and sharing information about, the Sinclair QL. In time, it has expanded its brief to include compatible systems such as the ICL OPD (One Per Desk), CST Thor, Aurora and Q40/Q60, as well as emulators of the Sinclair QL running on other platforms.

QUANTA is a non-profit organisation run by an elected committee of honorary officials. Membership is by SUBSCRIPTION (currently 14 GBP); the membership fee has not changed for many years. There is now the option of an email version of the magazine (in pdf format) available to all, but primarily intended to eliminate the postage surcharges levied on overseas members. Full details are available on the Membership Form or from the Membership Secretary. The subscription includes a bi-monthly magazine, access to QUANTA's large free QL software library, advice and help with QL-related matters, workshops (QL shows held in various areas) and support for local sub-groups.

More details appear on the Quanta website

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Quanta - the Sinclair QL User Group

Post by vanpeebles »

Just to add Quanta should be first port of call for any one interested in the QL. The Quanta magazine is an excellent read which covers a wide range of topics aimed at new and experienced users.

Being a new user myself I recently joined a few months back and I've also been collecting old issues from places like ebay.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Quanta can supply some back issues of their magazine - contact Basil Lee whose contact details are inside the front cover of the Quanta Magazine.

John Gilpin is also in the process of scanning some older issues, with a veiw to making them available as a PDF archive at some point.

Dilwyn Jones

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote:John Gilpin is also in the process of scanning some older issues, with a veiw to making them available as a PDF archive at some point.
A PDF archive of back issues would be great!
If you are willing to send me some of the back issues, I would gladly scan them for you!
(I'll return them once they are scanned!)

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

John Gilpin is coordinating this. I don't think the problem is scanning them as such, but more one of proof reading the scanned files, as the original print quality of those early editions wasn't very good by modern standards.
I think John is still away (xmas hols)as I write this, but when he returns contact him to offer your help! His details are inside the front cover of the mag. I don't know if anyone else is helping him.
I know he has done some of the very early ones, and has the original WP files for a few years back from present, so it is a question of getting the inbetween years done.

I have been given some missing issues of QL Adventurers Forum, so I now have a full set of QLAF and the 2 successor issues of QL Leisure Review. I don't know if we could scan them now (my scanner is old and very slow, so I would need to get help with the scanning)? Bruce Nicholls (owner of the ql-users list) was editor and publisher of the Leisure Review, so can be contacted to seek permission, though I don't know if anyone is still in touch with Richard Alexander (who published the original QLAF) for permission? I also have a (I think) complete set of the QL Technical Review mags if anyone is in contact with the publisher to get permission to have them scanned too?

If we can get them scanned, I could possibly send them to someone to scan, though all that paper would be expensive. Another idea might be to meet up at the Quanta meeting in April to hand them over to be scanned (assuming we get permission)?

Dilwyn Jones

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'd bite your hand off for those QL Adventurers Forum mags! :shock:

davefilms
ROM Dongle

Post by davefilms »

Quanta web-site seems to be down.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

It is there, just a blank page.

I know they were hoping to have the new website platform for launch at the AGM, but for those who need directions to the AGM this is rather inconvenient, so I will quote the email I circulated in February..

QL Workshop and Quanta AGM 16th /17th April 2011

This year, Quanta are holding their AGM and a workshop in Manchester on the weekend of 16th/17th April - opening to traders etc 9.00am Saturday and 10.00 to public until 5.00 Sunday 10.00am until the AGM at 2.00pm and closing by 4.00pm. There will be a Chinese Banquet on the Saturday night at 7.30pm at the Pond Quay at a cost of £25.00 (we require a minimum of 20 people attending and booking with a deposit by 16th March 2011).

Venue is the 'Endeavour' Headquarters of 3rd Davyhulme Scout Group, Conway Road, off Lostock Road, Davyhulme, Manchester. Leave the M60 at Junction 9 and head towards Urmston - Conway Road is on the right just beyond the church.

It would help if some Quanta signs were put up as I struggled to find Conway Road last time!