Sinclair Retro BBS online!

A collection of QL services and websites.
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Re: Sinclair Retro BBS online!

Post by Outsoft »

janbredenbeek wrote:I just discovered NetFoss which is a FOSSIL driver which emulates a Hayes-compatible modem in conjunction with a Telnet daemon under Windows. So I can run Maximus in a DOS box under Windows 7 with the setup from the old system. I'm now preparing a Windows 7 installation on a Pentium 4 of 2003 which works remarkably well considering the hardware's age! If all goes well you can expect an announcement in the next few days...
And then the trick is to make the QL connect via TCP/IP...

cheers, Jan.
Great job!!

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Outsoft wrote:
janbredenbeek wrote:I just discovered NetFoss which is a FOSSIL driver which emulates a Hayes-compatible modem in conjunction with a Telnet daemon under Windows. So I can run Maximus in a DOS box under Windows 7 with the setup from the old system. I'm now preparing a Windows 7 installation on a Pentium 4 of 2003 which works remarkably well considering the hardware's age! If all goes well you can expect an announcement in the next few days...
And then the trick is to make the QL connect via TCP/IP...
Great job!!
I'm not sure if the DOS version of Maximus is the way to go. It keeps crashing at startup in a DOS box under Win7. There is a beta Win32 version which works, but that rules out the possibility of using NetFoss. There is also an (unsupported) Linux version, but that will probably require some work to be done (like compiling the source code).

I'll give it another try at the weekend...

Later,
Jan.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Jan,

I always found Maximus a little slow on a DOS based PC, I used to use the Remote Access BBS system on a 80486 based PC, which allowed a more flexible system.

But I switched to Qbox then Pbox when I escaped from he North East of England to East Midlands.

Can a QBOX not be configured to connect to a Linux gateway.

I had a look at my old Pbox BBS files, which are still in tact, but does not want to run on QPC2 or SMSQmulator. Probably have to use proper QL hardware...

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Derek_Stewart wrote:But I switched to Qbox then Pbox when I escaped from he North East of England to East Midlands.
:o :o Sounds more like exiled :lol:

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Jan,

I always found Maximus a little slow on a DOS based PC, I used to use the Remote Access BBS system on a 80486 based PC, which allowed a more flexible system.
But I switched to Qbox then Pbox when I escaped from he North East of England to East Midlands.
I had a look at my old Pbox BBS files, which are still in tact, but does not want to run on QPC2 or SMSQmulator. Probably have to use proper QL hardware...
I started with RA back in 1990 (on a 286) but switched to Maximus two years later (and upgraded to OS/2 Warp 3 in 1994). I always felt more comfortable with text configuration files than with separate config programs (MBSE is a great Linux BBS but awful to configure, hence I decided to go mail-only and not migrate the BBS setup).

I have tested QBOX on QPC2 and it works fine in local mode. If you can emulate a Hayes-compatible modem it will probably be possible to run QBOX with QSPHAYES, I'm not sure if it will work without DCD signalling though (probably, but less reliable). There are no dirty programming tricks in it and the communication port handling is completely separate from the application so it can be adapted to use any kind of I/O device.
If you haven't got the latest distribution version (1.19m) I can post it on my file share if you like.

Later,
Jan.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

janbredenbeek wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Jan,

I started with RA back in 1990 (on a 286) but switched to Maximus two years later (and upgraded to OS/2 Warp 3 in 1994). I always felt more comfortable with text configuration files than with separate config programs (MBSE is a great Linux BBS but awful to configure, hence I decided to go mail-only and not migrate the BBS setup).

I have tested QBOX on QPC2 and it works fine in local mode. If you can emulate a Hayes-compatible modem it will probably be possible to run QBOX with QSPHAYES, I'm not sure if it will work without DCD signalling though (probably, but less reliable). There are no dirty programming tricks in it and the communication port handling is completely separate from the application so it can be adapted to use any kind of I/O device.
If you haven't got the latest distribution version (1.19m) I can post it on my file share if you like.

Later,
Jan.
TCP/SER use the same Emulation of Hayes-Compatibile modems ;)

So If it can be emulated under QPC2 will be great!!!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have now got Pbox running on QPC2, see screen shot.
PBOX running under QPQ2 on Linux Box under Wine
PBOX running under QPQ2 on Linux Box under Wine
I used to use QTPI for all comms. including the Local logon to Pbox.

I have not got QPC2 connected to the serial port, so the Line 1 for Serial connection has failed.

Do got to figure out how to connect the TCP/IP connection coming to the PC to connect to the QPC2 serial port.

This also work on SMSQmualtor, but it does not have serial port connections.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I have now got Pbox running on QPC2, see screen shot.

Pbox-QPC2.png

I used to use QTPI for all comms. including the Local logon to Pbox.

I have not got QPC2 connected to the serial port, so the Line 1 for Serial connection has failed.

Do got to figure out how to connect the TCP/IP connection coming to the PC to connect to the QPC2 serial port.

This also work on SMSQmualtor, but it does not have serial port connections.
Great job!!!

So you can use QTPI and Telnet our BBS too on QPC2? ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Simone,

QTPI can be used for all comms. on the QL under the Extended Environment or QEM with no Extended Environment. The benefits are ANSI handling, XPR file transfer libraries inc. Zmodem, Ymodem, Sealink, these allow faster batch transfer of files.

It is just a matter of reading the manual and configuring the terminal, I used to use a QL with QTPI to logon any BBS either QL, Atari ST, Amiga or PC, work with all.

Regards,

Derek
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Simone,

QTPI can be used for all comms. on the QL under the Extended Environment or QEM with no Extended Environment. The benefits are ANSI handling, XPR file transfer libraries inc. Zmodem, Ymodem, Sealink, these allow faster batch transfer of files.

It is just a matter of reading the manual and configuring the terminal, I used to use a QL with QTPI to logon any BBS either QL, Atari ST, Amiga or PC, work with all.
Is important that you explain this well to Giorgio because He want to configure the Terminal on Black Phoenix to connect on our SInclair BBS too ;)

Can you post here the settings for make QTPI connect on telnet under QPC2?

We will appreciate it.

Best regards.