Mark Swift's Website

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Mark Swift
ROM Dongle

Re: Mark Swift's Website

Post by Mark Swift »

Hi Peter,
Peter wrote:it was a forked project, and I'd prefer to send them in a way that fits your original source tree.
It was long ago, I need to dig into it again after some more urgent work was done.
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fit your fork into my source tree as it was. I have changed the structure slightly in order to reduce complexity. If you send me what you have, I'm sure I'll be able to get it into the new structure.
Peter wrote:Are you interested in the Q68 hardware itself? Or alternatively a Qzero which is compatible?
Both sound great, but nowadays I am only able to find between 6 and 10 hours a week to code after work. When I first worked on the emulator, I was probably doing 6 hours a day after work.

So for the moment, I should probably limit my ambitions to getting the merged code to work on the Amiga and Qx0. I can use your Q68 binaries as a check that the merged tree structure can still produce the same code as your source tree and work from there.
Peter wrote:I'm just not convinced if Qubide is still the way to go.
I agree. I think QubIDE did a great job, but getting a QLWA driver working would be the way forward.

---
BTW when posting on this forum, I can't find a way to quote text and author using the quote button; so I have built the quotes above by hand.
Anyone know how it should be done?

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Mark Swift wrote:BTW when posting on this forum, I can't find a way to quote text and author using the quote button; so I have built the quotes above by hand.
Unfortunately, you can use the quote button only to quote an entire message. :( To do that, hit the quote button on the message you want to quote.

If you hit the quote button on your own reply, it just adds in a pair of quote markers into which you paste the snippet of text you wan't to quote.

I sometimes quote a message and delete the text I don't want, if that way is quicker, or copy the text I do want, reply, then hit quote and paste. If I remember the user name of the post I'm copying text from, hit thevquote, cursor left type ="name", cursor tight and paste.

Awkward, I admit. Another forum I moderate gives me the option to insert a quote into my reply, at thr current cursor position, as soon as I highlight some text in the post I'm replying to. It sets up all yhr detail of who I'm quoting too. Nice. (https://community.platformio.org)

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

NormanDunbar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:32 pm
Mark Swift wrote:BTW when posting on this forum, I can't find a way to quote text and author using the quote button; so I have built the quotes above by hand.
Unfortunately, you can use the quote button only to quote an entire message. :( To do that, hit the quote button on the message you want to quote.

If you hit the quote button on your own reply, it just adds in a pair of quote markers into which you paste the snippet of text you wan't to quote.

I sometimes quote a message and delete the text I don't want, if that way is quicker, or copy the text I do want, reply, then hit quote and paste. If I remember the user name of the post I'm copying text from, hit thevquote, cursor left type ="name", cursor tight and paste.

Awkward, I admit. Another forum I moderate gives me the option to insert a quote into my reply, at thr current cursor position, as soon as I highlight some text in the post I'm replying to. It sets up all yhr detail of who I'm quoting too. Nice. (https://community.platformio.org)

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.
That appears to be Disquss forum though. That needs kubernetes/docker hosting and doesn’t work from cPanel hosting!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

XorA wrote:That appears to be Disquss forum though. That needs kubernetes/docker hosting and doesn’t work from cPanel hosting!
You are probably correct. I'm not sure what it uses behind the scenes, but it is useful way to handle quotes. Having said that, I'm quite comfortable in quoting here -- as you probably noticed. :D

Anyway, I'll butt out now to avoid hogging this thread.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Mark Swift wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:35 pm So for the moment, I should probably limit my ambitions to getting the merged code to work on the Amiga and Qx0. I can use your Q68 binaries as a check that the merged tree structure can still produce the same code as your source tree and work from there.
On the other hand, getting a Q68 to work won't take you more than 10 minutes. And in the long run, updating via SD card (or SER or TFTP) is easier than handling a Qx0 for testing. Qx0 and Q68 variants are quite close, so the Q68 might cover a lot of the non-Amiga testing.
Mark Swift wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:35 pm I agree. I think QubIDE did a great job, but getting a QLWA driver working would be the way forward.
How important are IDE harddisks for the Amiga versions of QDOS Classic? If there is a commonplace Amiga SD card interface, you might consider switching to SD card altogether, in order to quickly gain QLWA support beyond the Q68. SD card is very convenient, especially as the images on the card can directly be accessed by emulators.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Peter wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm
Mark Swift wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:35 pm So for the moment, I should probably limit my ambitions to getting the merged code to work on the Amiga and Qx0. I can use your Q68 binaries as a check that the merged tree structure can still produce the same code as your source tree and work from there.
On the other hand, getting a Q68 to work won't take you more than 10 minutes. And in the long run, updating via SD card (or SER or TFTP) is easier than handling a Qx0 for testing. Qx0 and Q68 variants are quite close, so the Q68 might cover a lot of the non-Amiga testing.
Mark Swift wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:35 pm I agree. I think QubIDE did a great job, but getting a QLWA driver working would be the way forward.
How important are IDE harddisks for the Amiga versions of QDOS Classic? If there is a commonplace Amiga SD card interface, you might consider switching to SD card altogether, in order to quickly gain QLWA support beyond the Q68. SD card is very convenient, especially as the images on the card can directly be accessed by emulators.
The amiga is standardised around the A600/A1200 IDE port. To the point that A500 accellerators also now have that port fitted.

Only the Vampire really uses SD and even then last I checked it cant boot from it!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been playing around with AROS x86 on a Asus EeePC 1000H Netbook.

The AROS operating system runs on the bare metal, so is very quick.

It is an Amiga compatible operating system, but requires an emulator to run M68K Amiga software, but the games are very quick.

Boots from any Device setup in the BIOS.

I have to try out QL emulation.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:37 pm The amiga is standardised around the A600/A1200 IDE port. To the point that A500 accellerators also now have that port fitted.
Thanks for the info. So we actually need an IDE version of the QLWA driver. Either borrowed from the SMSQ/E IDE driver for Qx0. Or a modified variant of the existing Q68 SD card driver for QDOS Classic. (Which is BTW where the newer QL-SD driver for the QL comes from.)