Qubide clone

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

Re: Qubide clone

Post by jose_leandro »

Hi

[ sorry guys , my English isn't good enough to have a fluent conversation. ]

I'm been waiting for some reply of Spanish guys that bought the first and second batch before put here a message. We (Habi, ron and me) make a lot of test with the qubide clone but I want to be sure that it works well.

Like people are happy and none of then have problem, now it's time to reply your request :-)

Ok, I'll make another batch for you. I'm happy to offer a solution that allow people to use their QL. :-)

There are a few things I want to say:

The price of qubide clone is aprox. 35 € + shipping (I'll only send with tracking number). I'm only win a few € with each qubide. I'm hobbyist and , like I say, I only want people can your their QLs.

This qubide clone has extra 512K ram. You can quit it ( removing a gal and the ram chip) and the qubide still works.

This version doesn't have expansion bus like original one. It was design for people that doesn't have any interface ( rares and very expensive this days).

This version come with 1.56A rom. I know the 2.0 version of this rom. Habi has tested 2.0 roms and its works in this clone!. He has used in a real QL and a real ATAPI ZIP (he also test a CDROM drive). The QL can format a ZIP disk and see the CDROM (but it can't handle it. There isn't any real program that can use CDROM ). Also there is big problem, 2.0 roms doesn't format IDE interfaces. We have found that If we put a 1.56A rom, we can format a SD / CF / SOM / HD (We test all of them) without problem. When we change the 1.56A rom and put 2.0 rom , we can handle our formatted unit without problem but if we put a new SD/CF/SOM/HD unit, the QL say no. We think that maybe it a rom bug. We are still making some test (Habi want to see source code of 2.0 rom)

I see that 8 person are interested in a qubide clone. Nice because I use typical web that offer 5, 10 ,... pcb. This weekend I'll make an order.

I'll take some weeks ( 5-6) before have this new batch. It takes time and hobbys has limited time ;-P

Bye

José Leandro

P.D I will translate my article to English . Google translation is worse that my English XD XD XD.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Thank you!! :) Just to add, at that price can I take two?

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Thank you José Leandro :D

Your English is good enough that we can understand you, so don't worry too much.

Myself, I think the price you have quoted is very reasonable and I fully understand that this is a low volume hobby production for a small number of hobbyists. So don't worry about taking your time. Just let us know when you want payment if and when you have some ready to sell ;-)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:Thank you!! :) Just to add, at that price can I take two?
There's always one :shock: :roll:

Now if the admin is going to add some extra smilies, maybe a Mr Greedy one should be included :lol:

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

:oops: eeeeee. Maybe it's cheaper to buy more components in bulk ;)

Wimdev
ROM Dongle

Post by Wimdev »

I'd like one too!
Looks like they're going fast....

Wim

schombi
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by schombi »

I´d be interested in one as well. Many thanks!

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

jose_leandro wrote:Hi

[ sorry guys , my English isn't good enough to have a fluent conversation. ]

I'm been waiting for some reply of Spanish guys that bought the first and second batch before put here a message. We (Habi, ron and me) make a lot of test with the qubide clone but I want to be sure that it works well.

Like people are happy and none of then have problem, now it's time to reply your request :-)

Ok, I'll make another batch for you. I'm happy to offer a solution that allow people to use their QL. :-)

There are a few things I want to say:

The price of qubide clone is aprox. 35 € + shipping (I'll only send with tracking number). I'm only win a few € with each qubide. I'm hobbyist and , like I say, I only want people can your their QLs.

This qubide clone has extra 512K ram. You can quit it ( removing a gal and the ram chip) and the qubide still works.

This version doesn't have expansion bus like original one. It was design for people that doesn't have any interface ( rares and very expensive this days).

This version come with 1.56A rom. I know the 2.0 version of this rom. Habi has tested 2.0 roms and its works in this clone!. He has used in a real QL and a real ATAPI ZIP (he also test a CDROM drive). The QL can format a ZIP disk and see the CDROM (but it can't handle it. There isn't any real program that can use CDROM ). Also there is big problem, 2.0 roms doesn't format IDE interfaces. We have found that If we put a 1.56A rom, we can format a SD / CF / SOM / HD (We test all of them) without problem. When we change the 1.56A rom and put 2.0 rom , we can handle our formatted unit without problem but if we put a new SD/CF/SOM/HD unit, the QL say no. We think that maybe it a rom bug. We are still making some test (Habi want to see source code of 2.0 rom)

I see that 8 person are interested in a qubide clone. Nice because I use typical web that offer 5, 10 ,... pcb. This weekend I'll make an order.

I'll take some weeks ( 5-6) before have this new batch. It takes time and hobbys has limited time ;-P

Bye

José Leandro

P.D I will translate my article to English . Google translation is worse that my English XD XD XD.
Many Thanks Jose, your translation is fine we get the intention, its probably "mucho mejor que mi trranslation al español , feliz año nuevo", take your time, we are a patient lot here. I again would state I would like two but if you wish to restrict to one per person then thats fine also. Keep us informed ;) :) :D Sinclair QL pervive en 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

OK, I will also take one :D

To the v2.00 ROM: As far as Dilwyn's site statet, there is also a must to change the GALs.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

If there's still a spare, I would like to join in as well.

Thanks for offering to build this!

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO