Thor 8 with no keyboard

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Thor 8 with no keyboard

Post by Jeff$ »

I see on Ebay there are two Thor 8's without keyboards, just in case a lucky forum member gets one of them,the Thors use a non standard keyboard, but as a stop gap measure you can actually connect a standard QL keyboard into the QL motherboard and it will work, I did this in the late 1980's so my memory my be a bit faded, but if I recall this worked with just a few issues of different keys.

And just to repeat the warning on Thors, DO NOT plug a non modified QL board in, it will get fried as they did some power line modifications for the Thor.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Thor 8 with no keyboard

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Thor 1 used an AT Keyboard, which may work with an AT-PS/2 adapter.

I used to have a Thor 1, but gave the expansion board to an Thor enthusiast, I still have the Case, Keyboard, ROM expansion board, floppy disk drive, the rest failed and was disposed of.

The power supply was really bad.

I might use the case for a QL.

Regards,

Derek
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

I have a Thor as well, but from memory when I tried either a standard IBM XT or AT keyboards back in the 1980's it wouldn't work. I don't have either an XT or AT keyboard to try on it now.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Both those Thors on ebay went for a lot (not to me)! £1,020 for the model in nicer cosmetic condition with the 2 FDDs and £675 for the single FDD model with signs of corrosion. That's more than I thought they'd go for.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I watched those as well, wonder who got them?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:54 pm Both those Thors on ebay went for a lot (not to me)! £1,020 for the model in nicer cosmetic condition with the 2 FDDs and £675 for the single FDD model with signs of corrosion. That's more than I thought they'd go for.
£1,020! Ouch...

Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

I was amazed at the prices, as they aren't even working and no keyboards/mice or manuals. I hope who ever won them can get them working so they can increase the population of working Thors.

I guess rarity is winning out, I suspect far fewer than a thousand Thor 8's were ever made, and probably only a few dozen Thor 20's.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

I bought a Thor 1 for £50 and thought it wax too much, the operati g system did not run very well.

It was out performed by a QL with Trump Card and 2 floppy drives.

Thor could not run Minerva.

Regards,

Derek