Software updates

A place to discuss general QL issues.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Software updates

Post by pjw »

martyn_hill wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am Hi Per!

Did you notice whether or not the Q68 bootloader detected a 'normal' or 'extended' PS/2 mouse at start-up? (It flashes-by a bit quick...)

I find that my extended PS/2 mouse isn't always detected as such intermittently. Probably a timing issue, but not something I usually bother about (I hate mice!)
Thanks for the tip! Ive never seen that part of the initialisation process as my Q68 is connected to the same monitor as my main PC and I cant switch inputs fast enough! However, I'll check it out if it happens again. Cant say Ive noticed it before; just after upgrading to 3.39 hence the alarm. We'll see..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

pjw wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:23 pm Thanks for the tip! Ive never seen that part of the initialisation process as my Q68 is connected to the same monitor as my main PC and I cant switch inputs fast enough! However, I'll check it out if it happens again. Cant say Ive noticed it before; just after upgrading to 3.39 hence the alarm. We'll see..
Simply pull out the SD card and see what is displayed by the loader.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Thanks, Peter. On every other reset the system halts at PC.CLOCK initialisation. I cant say Ive noticed this behaviour before. However, clearly, it cant have anything to do with SMSQ/E as I suspected at first. Anyway, its not really a problem; occasionally I'll just have to reboot.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI Per,

What version of Q68 ROM Loader is installed, this can be found by removing the SD Card from SD Card Slot 1, which will stop at the loader screen, saying it can not find a valid SDHC Card.

Your Q68 was manufactured in Batch 2, which was not part of the problem with Minerva4Q68 on Batch 4

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There seems to of been a problem with the zipped version of SMSQ/E v3.39 source code.

This has been fixed.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:34 pm HI Per,

What version of Q68 ROM Loader is installed, this can be found by removing the SD Card from SD Card Slot 1, which will stop at the loader screen, saying it can not find a valid SDHC Card.

Your Q68 was manufactured in Batch 2, which was not part of the problem with Minerva4Q68 on Batch 4
V1.00.
Ive just been rebooting a number of times. Now, however, the issue does not appear. As I said before, I cant say ever noticed the issue before. Just recently it happened a few times: 1) The ROM boot hangs at PC.CLOCK, fine again after a reset. 2) The machine boots all the way but the scroll wheel doesnt work. Keyboard and mouse and everything else seem fine. All good again after a reboot.
Its no big deal for me, but obviously it would be good to get it right. Will keep those who need to know posted!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

You probably need a FGPA update.

I tried on my v1.05 Q68, the mouse is detected as Extended Mouse.

Pressing the Scroll wheel on the mouse, emulate pressing the two mouse keys, which I have WQPAC2 configured to do '.' and select Button Frame.

Rotating the Scroll Wheel does nothing, unlike QPAC2 or SMSQMulator with same version of SMSQ/E. I will ask Wolfgang to look at this.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:58 pm <>
Rotating the Scroll Wheel does nothing, unlike QPAC2 or SMSQMulator with same version of SMSQ/E. I will ask Wolfgang to look at this.
When the mouse is properly initialised (which is most of the time) scrolling with the scroll wheel works fine here. Its not an SMSQ/E v3.39 thing..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

The problem, maybe configuration and mixture of hardware.

What mouse is being used, what PS/2 Splitter...

Unfortunatley, PS/2 mouse and splitters vary in wiring configuration, see in another thread about this,

I have some splitter cables that work on a PC, but not on a Q68, 2 wires have to changed. Same with some mouses.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi Derek,

The splitter I got from you when I bought the Q68, and the mouse and keyboard are Perixx PERIBOARD-409P Mini Wired Keyboard - PS2 Interface and Perixx PERIMICE-201PII B, Wired PS2 Optical Mouse - 3 Button - 1000dpi Resolution - 1.8m Cable, which you recommended, IIRC. ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?