ql+ prototype rebuild ? possible

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: ql+ prototype rebuild ? possible

Post by NormanDunbar »

Andrew wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:11 pm I think you can still buy the ebook here https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/bo ... 20557.html
Thanks Andrew, unfortunately, that appears to be a different book. It's "Computer", :( we are all looking for "Delete" by the same author.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

techy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:32 am
Just got the quote from the 3d printer .. a whopping € 198,- excl. postal for the parts.
If you are willing to wait I can print your case for the cost of materials and postage. I only have black
plastic available. I assume that you are buying the QL keyboard advertised on this forum, and that your case
is designed to house the QL top with its end sawn off.
20240204_190724.jpg
I have no idea what the postage would be but I imagine that the cost of materials and post would be less than CHF 40.00
I hope you realise that the finish of 3D printing is nothing like injection moulding.

I have already designed and printed a fake QL, housing a standard USB gaming keyboard.
Attachments
P1100951.JPG

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been repairing an Creality Ender 3 NEO MAX, which I was given for a very low sum locally, the display was broken and the top rail for the Z Axis guide has stripped securing bolts. But nearly got it fixing waiting the delivery of a display and some extras securing brackets for the top rail.

I hope to be able to print our small prototype prints, before sending the batch prints to a commercial 3D print company.

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

i am still on oxygen :-) after that quote .

but considering all costs , i am thinking of printing it myself ....... ( different quality / surface , i know but al lot cheaper )

@ tinyfpga , i am very interested in the system you used to make the ql replica , can you pm me the details please

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Unread post by techy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:37 am

I am very interested in the system you used to make the ql replica , can you pm me the details please
It seems better to post two zip files of all that is needed to make my fake QLs.
The Quasi QL is PC based. (SMSQE in QPC)
The Barely Black QL is Pi 5 based. (SMSQE in SMSQmulator)
It is easier to make the mini PC version because it doesn't need extension leads, and it's easier to get SMSQE to run on a PC.
One advantage of a fake QL is the high resolution display output that better suits the capability of SMSQE.
Pictures in the zip files show SMSQE displayed at 1920 x1200 (WUXGA).
The Pi 5 box rear holes are designed to fit the cables I bought on Ebay. Other extension cables will probably not fit.
The Quasi QL box is designed to fit the PCs shown in the ZIP file. The box would have to be redesigned for some other PC.

It some point in the future I will design a fake QL to house the Q68. This will be harder because without a USB to PS2
converter the choice of keyboard is limited and the Q68 is more difficult to adapt to fit my box design. For example my
box requires an internal keyboard connection.
The Qzero would be easier to use but ..... I don't have one.

Finally; I have placed an order for Delete for CHF 56.90 as per desin's post. Not cheap, but better than most prices quoted
elsewhere. Whether it will arrive or not is another matter. If I receive it I will be tempted to to design a fake
QL wafer as shown on the front cover. Hopefully there will be a complete picture of the design in the book.
Quasi QL with PC QQL.zip
(6.11 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Barely Black Pi5 QL BBQL.zip
(24.38 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Thank You !!

now to find a pdf of the book ................

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

@ tinyfpga ,

show pictures as soon as you received your book !! , very keen on seeing the article about the ql+

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I've only just read though this thread - My daughter bought me a copy of Delete which she found in an Oxfam shop a few years back, for something like £5. She knows me well, and she clearly got a bargain. Anyway, if I'd been a bit quicker I could have scanned the QL pages for you and sent them over. Sorry about that.

The book is full of bonkers and brilliant designs, often regarding the same machine.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

@ sparrowhawk ,

If you could do that , many of us would highly appreciate it !!

Techy

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Attached is a zip of the QL pages. I made photos rather than scan as the book format does not lend itself to being flattened - the spine would be quite badly damaged I think.

Not the best photos I'm afraid, but hopefully detailed enough for the QL+ project to make us of. If anyone needs another pass of a particular page, let me know.

I hope this is OK? What is the status of posting a small subset of pages from an out of print book? If it's not OK, admins please go ahead and delete the attachment.
ql-delete-v2.zip
(9.05 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

a.k.a. Jean-Yves