QL replica

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Re: QL replica

Post by bixio60 »

Maskenlos wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:12 am
1. There is just no demand. When I developed the QL K/B to PS/2 adapter, which is a part of the QLbase almost no one was interested. Also the interest for QL base was rather low.
This topic is very interesting that I cannot resist to comment:

- QL K/B to PS/2 adapter: i was not aware of this, my opinion is that this interface could be a success. I used a Spem keyboard until it broke, now I am using happily in one of my QL the QIMSI to interface also mouse/keyboard
- Q68 is very close to perfection, I don't want to reopen an old discussion with Peter about the speed of the Q68 at maximum graphics resolution, a solution should be found to reach perfection (cache?)
- Q60, lovable and perfect fast unit. Mine it is still operative and in good shape after more than 20 years of daily operation. I am using the CPLD that Peter gave to me without any major issue. A Q60 replica could be interesting depending on its cost, it is in some way a duplicata of Q68 without native Ethernet driver.
- Native hardware QL replika: well ..Tetroid did all the necessary jobs but for the well known reason he stopped

mhanias
Brittle Membrane

Post by mhanias »

A new case with the help of a 3D printer is a rather an easy task.
The use of FPGA will make QL run linux. A lure for new users.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm - QL K/B to PS/2 adapter: i was not aware of this, my opinion is that this interface could be a success. I used a Spem keyboard until it broke, now I am using happily in one of my QL the QIMSI to interface also mouse/keyboard
You are aware this was QL matix keyboard to PS/2, not vice versa?
bixio60 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm - Q68 is very close to perfection, I don't want to reopen an old discussion with Peter about the speed of the Q68 at maximum graphics resolution, a solution should be found to reach perfection (cache?)
The Qzero has dual SDRAM onboard, allowing more than 100% speed increase in 1024x768 highcolor mode over the Q68. A new Q68 could re-use this hardware, either by Qzero as a module (faster development) or an all-in-one PCB (cheaper). I diverted to the QIMSI project for a while. But if interest in the Q68 remains, a follow-up is something I would seriously consider.
bixio60 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm - Q60, lovable and perfect fast unit. Mine it is still operative and in good shape after more than 20 years of daily operation. I am using the CPLD that Peter gave to me without any major issue.
Thanks for the flowers. But for me, the black screen area is a major issue.

I have been thinking about this for over a decade. And a Q60 replacement remains tempting to overcome the video problem. A board with just 64 MB SDRAM (onboard, no module) and Q68 style peripherals, CP2200 ethernet, etc. would not even be terribly hard to design. But that would not be 100% backward compatible, and the nice old, resource-saving Linux distros would no longer run.
On the other hand, a fully backward compatible high-end solution with 512 MB SDRAM modules, fast ATA, ideal overclocking, etc. would be an insane amount of work. The fastest 68060 mainboard on the planet, 30 years after the CPU was released. Crazy.

Most likely, neither a Q68 nor Q60 replacement would go into the QL case, so we're getting off topic here I guess.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:33 pm The Qzero has dual SDRAM onboard, allowing more than 100% speed increase in 1024x768 highcolor mode over the Q68. A new Q68 could re-use this hardware, either by Qzero as a module (faster development) or an all-in-one PCB (cheaper). I diverted to the QIMSI project for a while. But if interest in the Q68 remains, a follow-up is something I would seriously consider.
Peter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:33 pm I have been thinking about this for over a decade. And a Q60 replacement remains tempting to overcome the video problem. A board with just 64 MB SDRAM (onboard, no module) and Q68 style peripherals, CP2200 ethernet, etc. would not even be terribly hard to design. But that would not be 100% backward compatible, and the nice old, resource-saving Linux distros would no longer run.
On the other hand, a fully backward compatible high-end solution with 512 MB SDRAM modules, fast ATA, ideal overclocking, etc. would be an insane amount of work. The fastest 68060 mainboard on the planet, 30 years after the CPU was released. Crazy.
Hi Peter, those two projects: Q68 and Q60 "version 2" sound very good. That evolution of your developments would be great.

From your comments I understand that QBase with QZero will have much higher performance in 1024x768 high color resolutions than the Q68. Is that correct? Also, if Qbase + Qzero can be mounted in a separate box, would that be equivalent to that Q68 "version2"?

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

bixio60 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm
Maskenlos wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:12 am
1. There is just no demand. When I developed the QL K/B to PS/2 adapter, which is a part of the QLbase almost no one was interested. Also the interest for QL base was rather low.
This topic is very interesting that I cannot resist to comment:

- QL K/B to PS/2 adapter: i was not aware of this, my opinion is that this interface could be a success. I used a Spem keyboard until it broke, now I am using happily in one of my QL the QIMSI to interface also mouse/keyboard
- Q68 is very close to perfection, I don't want to reopen an old discussion with Peter about the speed of the Q68 at maximum graphics resolution, a solution should be found to reach perfection (cache?)
- Q60, lovable and perfect fast unit. Mine it is still operative and in good shape after more than 20 years of daily operation. I am using the CPLD that Peter gave to me without any major issue. A Q60 replica could be interesting depending on its cost, it is in some way a duplicata of Q68 without native Ethernet driver.
- Native hardware QL replika: well ..Tetroid did all the necessary jobs but for the well known reason he stopped
Keyboard adapter in both directions are available:

viewtopic.php?t=4012

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4106

Stephan

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:01 pm From your comments I understand that QBase with QZero will have much higher performance in 1024x768 high color resolutions than the Q68. Is that correct?
That is correct. For now I still hold that part of the Qzero FPGA identical with Q68, for simplicity reasons.
But the video RAM can be separated anytime I want, I have tested it, and the Qzero has field update for the FPGA.
Of course, cache also remains on the agenda, but with lower priority.
afx wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:01 pm Also, if Qbase + Qzero can be mounted in a separate box, would that be equivalent to that Q68 "version2"?
Performance-wise, yes. QLbase was designed to also be usable in a separate box, Detlef even designed a printed case.
But it is a compromise with the form factor of the QL, and does not include ethernet.
There are a few pros and cons in detail.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Peter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:33 pm <>
The Qzero has dual SDRAM onboard, allowing more than 100% speed increase in 1024x768 highcolor mode over the Q68. A new Q68 could re-use this hardware, either by Qzero as a module (faster development) or an all-in-one PCB (cheaper). I diverted to the QIMSI project for a while. But if interest in the Q68 remains, a follow-up is something I would seriously consider.<>
[My emphasis] I am interested, and would support it by buying one. For my taste It still wont be fast enough to be a real "work QL" for the 21st century, of course ;) but I live in hope ..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

pjw wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:59 am
Peter wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:33 pm <>
The Qzero has dual SDRAM onboard, allowing more than 100% speed increase in 1024x768 highcolor mode over the Q68. A new Q68 could re-use this hardware, either by Qzero as a module (faster development) or an all-in-one PCB (cheaper). I diverted to the QIMSI project for a while. But if interest in the Q68 remains, a follow-up is something I would seriously consider.<>
[My emphasis] I am interested, and would support it by buying one. For my taste It still wont be fast enough to be a real "work QL" for the 21st century, of course ;) but I live in hope ..
IMO it isnt the lack of hardware that is the gating factor here, but the lack of developers improving smsq/e. Peter is a super clever guy, he can design a super modern QL. But who would write all the drivers required?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Please don't discuss this, because I know it's impossible and wouldn't happen because the Q68 exists as a stand-alone computer. Personally, my "ideal solution" would be a Q68 that plugs into a BBQL, like the QIMSI's "mini-Q68", or... plugs into the expansion port like a Super Gold Card.

A Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega gold card.

I can dream :geek:

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is the problem, the hardware seems to be there, but the operating system is not been developed.

SMSQ/E would be my operating system of choice, but this need a Gold Card to run.

Regards,

Derek