Q68 Emulate original QL Keyboard

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Re: Q68 Emulate original QL Keyboard

Post by janbredenbeek »

BREAKING NEWS: I have tested Pudge with the just released v1.6 of Minerva4Q68 and as far I can see it works now, except for the sound of course.

I have added the SLUG command which can be used to slow down the Q68 (0 = full speed, 255 = slows down to a crawl; 128 will be about original QL speed). Unfortunately this also increases loading time (well, at least it remembers you of the good old MDV days ;) ).

Apart from the above, there are lots of other improvements such as a working serial driver :)

The repository is as always on https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerva4Q68 (I will fork it to the SinclairQL repository in a few days when no major bugs come up).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Great, now we can play a game that is over 30 years on a computer that cutting edge.

Why not play, Wolfgang's version it is much better.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

janbredenbeek wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:42 am BREAKING NEWS: I have tested Pudge with the just released v1.6 of Minerva4Q68 and as far I can see it works now, except for the sound of course.

I have added the SLUG command which can be used to slow down the Q68 (0 = full speed, 255 = slows down to a crawl; 128 will be about original QL speed). Unfortunately this also increases loading time (well, at least it remembers you of the good old MDV days ;) ).

Apart from the above, there are lots of other improvements such as a working serial driver :)

The repository is as always on https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerva4Q68 (I will fork it to the SinclairQL repository in a few days when no major bugs come up).
That's amazing, with SLUG too, I'll give it a go! And other stuff that may well also be stuck because it's awaiting some kind of k/b input. Thanks Jan.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:00 am Great, now we can play a game that is over 30 years on a computer that cutting edge.

Why not play, Wolfgang's version it is much better.
You know me Derek, I'm making my way through the old stuff - it's all cutting edge to me. I will also try Wolfgang's version, but it certainly can't hurt to make things as backward compatible as possible, as long as it doesn't impact any new features.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been disassembling Pudge, I will see if I can get it to run after a re-assemble.

Maybe just needs allocation of memory for the shadow video processing

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Pudge was just an example as something that expects a k/b input but never gets it. There were others. I'll eventually go through my mdv dumps and make a list of any issues they have, where they fail etc. It's just for fun.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

A list would be great, as threre seems the QL Preservation project, looks to be a closed project, no list of problems do not seem to be available.
Peter wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:06 pm Detlef got tons of old stuff running on the Q68. The specific status of Pudge is not known to me.
I was surprised that someone did a software for the Q68, I never got any report of this, in fact I had generate my old Q68 distribution.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Chr$ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:08 pm I'll eventually go through my mdv dumps and make a list of any issues they have, where they fail etc. It's just for fun.
Cool idea. Don't forget to get in touch with QLObi if you haven't done yet. He also tried tons of programs on the Q68.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

janbredenbeek wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:42 am Apart from the above, there are lots of other improvements such as a working serial driver :)

Great job! I see that the incompatibility with my mouse driver is now also solved.
With the KEYROW dependency on interrupts gone, Minerva for Q68 is now getting ahead of SMSQ/E when it comes to backward compatibility.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Peter wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:37 pm Great job! I see that the incompatibility with my mouse driver is now also solved.
With the KEYROW dependency on interrupts gone, Minerva for Q68 is now getting ahead of SMSQ/E when it comes to backward compatibility.
Well, we could even emulate the IPC sound trap through SSSS though this won't be easy (especially with wrap, random and fuzziness).
I just read that SMSQ/E attempts to emulate it but I don't know if that's limited to only the BEEP command or the IPC trap as well (I have never used the Q68's sound output and actually sacrificed it for QLNET...).

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

janbredenbeek wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:06 am I just read that SMSQ/E attempts to emulate it but I don't know if that's limited to only the BEEP command or the IPC trap as well
It works even with games like Spook or Cuthbert, Tony Tebby implemented it for Q40/Q60 and I think he did quite a good job.
janbredenbeek wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:06 am (I have never used the Q68's sound output and actually sacrificed it for QLNET...).
Shame on you... and on me for not making QLNET part of the PCB... but interesting mod. ;)
How did you do that? Remove the series capacitor for the sound output and solder the QLNET line there?