What's the most power frugal QL platform?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

What's the most power frugal QL platform?

Post by ones' complement »

To keep ourselves amused (and our brains active) if the worst occurs, which QL platform uses the least power ? Any thoughts on contingencies/designs for battery backing-up a QL.

XorA
Site Admin

Re: What's the most power frugal QL platform?

Post by XorA »

Pi0?

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

One needs video activated, in which case my Pi Zero draws around 140 mA @ 5V, LEDs off, idle, no peripherals. Running a QL emulator would not leave the CPU idle, so it is probably more.
The Q68 is close with around 200 mA, LEDs off, but that includes an ethernet controller.
The Qzero wins with 130 mA. ;) Which is a little unfair since it is not yet publicly released.

Peripherals and screen come on top, probably drawing more than the QL platform itself.

I used to run a Q68 for days with a cigarette box sized power bank.

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Thanks, Pi Zero looks a good candidate to try (Qzero even better). I have a Pi Hyperpixel display which uses just 35mA for LCD but 110mA for backlight ( less if PWM driven). Only has 4.0" screen (800x480, 235 pixels/inch), wonder if I could find one of those magnifying screens used in the film Brazil :)

Another possibility to reduce peripheral current might be to use matrix keyboard off the GPIO.

(Still got my Z88, love a QL version.)