Trying to transfer basic file from Mac to QL via Serial

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: Trying to transfer basic file from Mac to QL via Serial

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Glad you are sorted. Yes, the post from NZ takes a while - my vDrive certainly took several weeks, irrc. If you have ordered a vMap as well, be very careful with the packaging which comes with tons of shredded paper to protect the vDrive unit. The vMap is in there somewhere. Don't do what I did and chuck all of that paper into the woodburner... luckily the fire was not yet lit and I realised my mistake in time :D

I found the vMap to be unbelieveably fiddly to install, but I managed in the end, after using up my annual swearing allowance within 20 minutes! Not the product's fault of course, there is very little space to get at things easily.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:16 pm Glad you are sorted. Yes, the post from NZ takes a while - my vDrive certainly took several weeks, irrc. If you have ordered a vMap as well, be very careful with the packaging which comes with tons of shredded paper to protect the vDrive unit. The vMap is in there somewhere. Don't do what I did and chuck all of that paper into the woodburner... luckily the fire was not yet lit and I realised my mistake in time :D

I found the vMap to be unbelieveably fiddly to install, but I managed in the end, after using up my annual swearing allowance within 20 minutes! Not the product's fault of course, there is very little space to get at things easily.
Yes, have ordered a vMap so thanks for the heads up - will make sure I unpack carefully!

Thanks
Tony

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you lose the vMap documentation, look on the vDrive web site.

vMap: https://vdrivezx.com/vmap/

vDriveQL:https://vdrivezx.com/downloads/

The issue with the vDriveQL, is that the unit connects to the QL external Microdrive port. Microdrives are daisy-chained, so that MDV1, MDV2 must installed for the External MDV port to work, or use vMap, which creates this link to the External MDV port and vMap can move the internal MDVs to another MDV other than 1 or 2.

I do not have any Microdrives installed, just vMap, I map the vDriveQL to MDV1, works really well.

vDriveQL works with QIMSI.

Regards,

Derek
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:14 pm Hi,

If you lose the vMap documentation, look on the vDrive web site.

vMap: https://vdrivezx.com/vmap/

vDriveQL:https://vdrivezx.com/downloads/

The issue with the vDriveQL, is that the unit connects to the QL external Microdrive port. Microdrives are daisy-chained, so that MDV1, MDV2 must installed for the External MDV port to work, or use vMap, which creates this link to the External MDV port and vMap can move the internal MDVs to another MDV other than 1 or 2.

I do not have any Microdrives installed, just vMap, I map the vDriveQL to MDV1, works really well.

vDriveQL works with QIMSI.
Thanks

I have the vMap/VDriveQL instructions downloaded, but will re-read them after delivery (especially the vMap install instructions!)

I currently have a vDriveZX in transit (for one of my spectrums which currently has an interface 1 & 2 off MD's) so will be able to get the hang of the basic principles of using the vDrive in advance of trying to use the QL one

Thanks
Tony

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

If there are no internal MDs at all, one wire link that doesnt even have to be soldered means external MD port works!

No need for expense of vMap!

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Found the vMap amongst the shredded paper ok

Have now fitted it and it’s all working (though I’ve not tried to remap the internal drives as yet)

Hardest part was extracting the existing cables from the system board.