Compact Keyboard SHL

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Compact Keyboard SHL

Post by dilwyn »

I'm looking for a PS/2 compact keyboard to use with SuperHermes Lite on my Aurora. I've tried the Perixx Periboard 409 used on my Q68, it doesn't work on the SuperHermes Lite. Can anyone suggest another compact keyboard with PS/2 plug? Or better still, have one to sell?

(Desk getting too cluttered between QL, Aurora and Q68 - need compact keyboard without numeric keypads).

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Compact Keyboard SHL

Post by Pr0f »

I wondered about this - is the SuperHemes expecting AT keyboard protocol? Early PS/2 keyboards did offer a protocol that was similar enough that some devices would work with them, but over time, the PS/2 spec as changed subtly - and it may be these differences that might make it a non starter with SuperHermes.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:11 am I'm looking for a PS/2 compact keyboard to use with SuperHermes Lite on my Aurora. I've tried the Perixx Periboard 409 used on my Q68, it doesn't work on the SuperHermes Lite. Can anyone suggest another compact keyboard with PS/2 plug? Or better still, have one to sell?

(Desk getting too cluttered between QL, Aurora and Q68 - need compact keyboard without numeric keypads).
Hi Dilwyn,

The SuperHermes as far as I can remember uses an AT compatible keyboard, so if it does not work with the PS/2 Keyboard, the connection to the keyboard are not correct.

The SuperHermes manual says. Keyboard connection is:

Code: Select all

SH   Colour   Function     AT    PS/2
1    Green    clock        1       5
2    White    data         2       1
3    -        -            -       -
4    Black    GND          4       3
5    Red      +5V          5       4
I have added the PS/2 Keyboard connections.

Q68 Mouse requires Data = Pin 2, Clock = Pin 6

I have a PS/2 Switch box to switch the PS/2 connection to use a Perixx 409 Keyboard, on Q68, Q60 with AT to PS2 cable adapter, PC with USB to PS/2.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thanks Derek.
The full size keyboards with PS/2 plugs I have (Acer) whcih work with my SHL must be AT "in disguise". I'll see what I can do - I think I have AT adaptor lead in a box in the attic. If I can find a compact AT keyboard of course.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Pr0f wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 am I wondered about this - is the SuperHemes expecting AT keyboard protocol? Early PS/2 keyboards did offer a protocol that was similar enough that some devices would work with them, but over time, the PS/2 spec as changed subtly - and it may be these differences that might make it a non starter with SuperHermes.
Thanks. I replied to Derek. The full size Acer keyboards I have with PS/2 plugs must be AT "in disguise", as they do work with SHL.
I'll see if I can find a compact AT keyboard if such a thing still exists with a PS/2 adapter lead to see what I can do.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I think the protocol should be very similar - just back in the day the concept of 'media' keys and other things on the modern PS/2 keyboards were not a thing when SuperHermes was released - so if the initial handshake between SuperHermes and the keyboard doesn't go well - my guess is the keyboard would be ignored.

I am pretty sure that keyboard is the same as the one I have - I will have to check when I get home.

I also have a superhermes of unknown condition - Like Derek - I am using a switch box, but I can see if this will work with the 2 SuperHermes boards I have - I need to test them anyway :-)

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Derek_Stewart wrote:(sorry about the dots, can not format correctly)
Monospace only appears to work in a code block </> :)

Code: Select all

SH   Colour    Function    AT     PS/2
1    Green     clock       1      5
2    White     data        2      1
3    -         -           -      -
4    Black     GND         4      3
5    Red       +5V         5      4

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

As I receive most of the Forum posts via the Blogtrottr service, that got me slightly confused - it appeared as anything but monospaced! Glad to see if I go on the Forum directly, it works anyhow. Useful to know.

So I'm changing the "Keyboard Wanted" to "Compact AT Keyboard Wanted for SuperHermes Lite".

It'll teach me to RTM first... (my excuse is that the computer was suppleid with PS/2 connectors and that Acer PS/2 plug keyboard just happens to work.)
Last edited by dilwyn on Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dilwyn,

I have a AT to PS/2 adapter, if required.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »