QL Net

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Net

Post by dilwyn »

I've gone and linked up my QIMSI QL with Q68 and Aurora over the QL network. Been a long time since I've used the QL network! Took me a little while to find my QL network cables :oops: . Also now with all the computers set up I realise I'm one monitor short, so another 15 inch one on order now all the "QL" systems can connect to VGA.

Forgot at first that the Q68 doesn't have an inbuilt QL net driver. Eventually realised I have to LRESPR dvr_v305 first.

Lovely being able to send files from machine to machine for software testing without having to carry physical media from one computer to another. The PC isn't yet part of this as the "QLs" are at the diagonally opposite ends of this room, so a bit too long and awkward to run a SERNET cable, for example. Pity. One day I'll tackle the Q68 ethernet or something <Peter, Derek and Martin tremble in fear at the thought :mrgreen: >.

Would be interesting to read of anyone's experience of mixing PCs and "QLs" (in all their guises) all able to communicate one way or another. Happy for now just using one of the Q68 SD cards for transfer to/from the PC.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Net

Post by Peter »

Since the Q68 supports both QLNET and decent speed SER, it can even be used as a bridge between both physical networks, e.g. between emulator on PC and a QL.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Good to know.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Q68 is well placed to facillitate all the QL Network protocols.

QL NET connection will connect into a QLAN with QL, QXL, possibily QPC2 with QLUB.

SERnet, with a suitable cable, or if you lazy like me, use a standard null modem cable, for 2 nodes, will connect Q68, QPC2, QXL.

If you need more than 2 SERnet nodes a special cable or SERnet hub to connect all machines, SERnet syncrohises the network to to lowest Baud Rate.

QLAN over Ethernet, allows Q68 to network to QPC2, SMSQmulator, even using WIFI networks, as long as the Ethernet system is working correctly with the Network Router, all should connect.

The Q68 should act as a bridge between QLAN and SERnet, as they both use different device driver letter.

The Ethernet also uses N for station number, I was going change this to E, then all would work.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:41 pm SERnet, with a suitable cable, or if you lazy like me, use a standard null modem cable, for 2 nodes, will connect Q68, QPC2, QXL.
Not to forget Q40 / Q60 ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:05 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:41 pm SERnet, with a suitable cable, or if you lazy like me, use a standard null modem cable, for 2 nodes, will connect Q68, QPC2, QXL.
Not to forget Q40 / Q60 ;)
I will never forget the Q40/60...

Regards,

Derek
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

dilwyn wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:17 pm Would be interesting to read of anyone's experience of mixing PCs and "QLs" (in all their guises) all able to communicate one way or another. ...
A while ago I described my experiences in these posts:
https://sinclairqles.wordpress.com/2020 ... era-parte/
https://sinclairqles.wordpress.com/2020 ... nda-parte/
Peter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 pm Since the Q68 supports both QLNET and decent speed SER, it can even be used as a bridge between both physical networks, e.g. between emulator on PC and a QL.
Yes, that works very well !! ... That's what I have on my computers. With Q68 as a bridge and QPC2, it's easy to reach any file from the QL. To connect Q68 with QPC2, I use both SERNET and QLNET with QLUB in QPC2, but I haven't yet tried to connect Q68 with QPC2 via Ethernet. (Has anyone done it?)."

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

afx wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:49 pm
dilwyn wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:17 pm Would be interesting to read of anyone's experience of mixing PCs and "QLs" (in all their guises) all able to communicate one way or another. ...
A while ago I described my experiences in these posts:
https://sinclairqles.wordpress.com/2020 ... era-parte/
https://sinclairqles.wordpress.com/2020 ... nda-parte/
Peter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 pm Since the Q68 supports both QLNET and decent speed SER, it can even be used as a bridge between both physical networks, e.g. between emulator on PC and a QL.
Yes, that works very well !! ... That's what I have on my computers. With Q68 as a bridge and QPC2, it's easy to reach any file from the QL. To connect Q68 with QPC2, I use both SERNET and QLNET with QLUB in QPC2, but I haven't yet tried to connect Q68 with QPC2 via Ethernet. (Has anyone done it?)."
Yes, I have setup QL NET over EtherNET, connecting Q68 to a Linux PC using WINE for QPC2 and Java for SMSQmulator, all work as Server or Client.

There is a problem with the QL NET Ethernet device driver, being N which clashes with the QL NETwork device driver.

I did intend to change the Ethernet Device to E but have got around to this.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

afx wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:49 pm To connect Q68 with QPC2, I use both SERNET and QLNET with QLUB in QPC2, but I haven't yet tried to connect Q68 with QPC2 via Ethernet. (Has anyone done it?)."
I use Q68 ethernet with UDP, both SMSQmulator and directly with TFTP on Windows and Linux.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:10 pm Yes, I have setup QL NET over EtherNET, connecting Q68 to a Linux PC using WINE for QPC2 and Java for SMSQmulator, all work as Server or Client.
Peter wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:28 am I use Q68 ethernet with UDP, both SMSQmulator and directly with TFTP on Windows and Linux.
Is there a step-by-step guide on how to connect Q68 (directly or through an emulator) with the PC via Ethernet?