Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Post by Peter »

Various QIMSI updates:
  • There is a update to the QIMSI manual, see start of this topic
  • There's an update to the QIMSI demo sound player, so it temporarily allocates almost all available memory, in order to reduce the amount of inefficient SLAVE buffering. This workaround should allow to play sound files longer than RAM size without hickups, even on 68008 systems. There are further commandline options, see the manual. Binary and sources at the start of this topic
  • There's a guide on how to convert sound data to the unsigned byte format supported by QIMSI and other QL-style machines:
    viewtopic.php?t=4574
  • There is now a list of tested+working mice:
    viewtopic.php?p=52706#p52706

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

One of the issues I ran into with my vDrive, set as external so I think #3 and not #1 that some software written needs it to be to run from #1, is was mostly miss for software that ran. I would get errors etc...

I know there was some device I could install in my QL to make that vDrive #1 but never purchased one and was not ready to open my QL as of yet.

Tell me, will this similar issue of software written to run on Microcarts and run from #1 drive, will it have the same issue running on QIMSI?

I don't have enough knowledge yet on mass media and software for QL so figured I would ask.

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

SinclairSociety wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:25 pm One of the issues I ran into with my vDrive, set as external so I think #3 and not #1 that some software written needs it to be to run from #1, is was mostly miss for software that ran. I would get errors etc...

I know there was some device I could install in my QL to make that vDrive #1 but never purchased one and was not ready to open my QL as of yet.

Tell me, will this similar issue of software written to run on Microcarts and run from #1 drive, will it have the same issue running on QIMSI?

I don't have enough knowledge yet on mass media and software for QL so figured I would ask.

TJ
Yes, in a similar way, as the drive will be win1_file_name as opposed to mdv1_file_name. However, once you have Toolkit II installed you can use the WIN_USE command to redirect access to mdv1_ to actually look at win1_ instead. However, most programs just have a SuperBASIC loader which you can merely edit and change the drive reference. This is just the same as if you want to run programs from floppy (FLP_USE).

Unfortunately doesn't work with copy protection.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

SinclairSociety wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:25 pm One of the issues I ran into with my vDrive, set as external so I think #3 and not #1 that some software written needs it to be to run from #1, is was mostly miss for software that ran. I would get errors etc...

TJ
Hi,

Slightly off topic, the vDrive connected to a the QL External MDV port can only map microdrives 3-8, the internal MDV1, MDV2, are set by the QL hardware a device called vMap connected to the MDV1, MDV2 connectors allows the vDrive to map the SD CARD storage to MDV1 or MDV2.

Back on topic, the QIMSI, connects to the ROM Port and allows hard drive storage on an SD Card, which is accessed by a WIN device, this also works with the vDrive.

I have a vDrive connected with vMap and QIMSI with Tetroid TDI Interface, the CF Card Interface on the TDI interface has been disabled.

On power up the QL boots from the QIMSI in the Rom Port, and uses WIN1 device to access storage.

Just copy all the vDrive fikes from MDV3 to WIN1.

Also the QIMSI has a mouse and keyboard interface, all very good and work perfectly.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:57 pm Also the QIMSI has a mouse and keyboard interface, all very good and work perfectly.
Thanks for the compliments Derek. However, QIMSI inializes the mouse very quickly at power up, and apparenty some mice can not cope with it.
Therefore it might be helpful to look at the list of tested mice: viewtopic.php?p=52706#p52706
If more people send feedback, we'll try to keep it updated.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Tinkerers who want to try QIMSI sound without modding the QL, might (at their own risk) add an external speaker according to this diagram:
ExtSpeaker.jpg
The PWM OUT pad is very small and one should use a relatively thin and flexible wire, so there is not too much strain.
A standard diode with about 0.7V forward voltage needs to be added in series to the speaker.
Please do not add another speaker to QIMSI if the internal QL speaker is also connected.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Thanks to Detlef, there is an improved version of the QIMSI printed case.
The STL data can be downloaded here:
https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... 828#p61828
The new version comes with a guide for microSD card insertion and a dust cover.

jobdone
Forum Moderator

Post by jobdone »

If anyone fancies a go at their own design, I have mocked up an STL of a PCB.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Speaking of which, I am working upon one at the moment. Very much work in progress. If only I'd noticed the tiny SMD resistor near one edge the PCB would have slid in correctly.

IMG_3509.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3511.jpeg

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I've pretty well completed the case now. The rear, although tight fitting, needs a couple of dabs of hot glue to hold it in place but that's it.

I forgot to add a hole to allow the access light to be seen but I can easily add that to the model before I publish the STL files.

IMG_3521.jpeg
IMG_3520.jpeg