Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
napsternds
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Post by napsternds »

Nephilim wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:47 pm Hello EveryBody , is there a 3D Printing case ( STl file ?? ) to protect this marvelous ?
Check page 11 on this same post....

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Wow, what a nifty device!

I will admit that I have only sparingly played with my QL since buying it, mostly because it has been a tad harder for me to quickly explore, in limited time.

This device seems a perfect way to rekindle that QL interest and start using mine more in 2024!

I will read through the many pages here about it and see about buying one.

Thanks!

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

SinclairSociety wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm Wow, what a nifty device!
Many thanks, TJ :D
SinclairSociety wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm I will read through the many pages here about it and see about buying one.
Might be more efficient to have a look into the manual attached to my first post.
I try to let the feedback flow back into it. A list of tested mice is also underway.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have had a 3D Print of the QIMSI case, with a Resin printer. This gives a smoother print finish than PLA Prints.

I have done an optional detachable top, or a complete case.

There are pictures of the detachable top case:
IMG_20231115_111027531.jpg
IMG_20231115_111038613.jpg
IMG_20231115_111014151.jpg
The case can be s single unit, but I liked the idea of a top that could be removed.

Regards,

Derek
SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Neato!

Will you be selling these and is there a reason to have access inside? I take it maybe something inside "may" need access every now and then?

TJ
Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:47 pm Hi,

I have had a 3D Print of the QIMSI case, with a Resin printer. This gives a smoother print finish than PLA Prints.

I have done an optional detachable top, or a complete case.

There are pictures of the detachable top case:
IMG_20231115_111027531.jpgIMG_20231115_111038613.jpgIMG_20231115_111014151.jpg

The case can be s single unit, but I liked the idea of a top that could be removed.

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Initially, I made an error sending the wrong STLs for printing, the case should been a single piece.

But the resultant 2 piece case does allow access to the serial port connector, but there maybe a better solution.

If required, I can get prices on the 2 types of case.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I would be interested Derek.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

SinclairSociety wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:20 pm I take it maybe something inside "may" need access every now and then?
The "MiniQ68" within QIMSI has a primitive, up to 115 kBaud serial port, which is located on the three righthand pads that you can see on the board.
Although not intended as an official feature, there is a MiniQ68 program which forwards the serial data to the QL side:
viewtopic.php?p=52951#p52951
To use it, the case would either need to be modified or opened.
Personally, I'd prefer a hole in the bottom of the case, under those three pads.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Peter wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:45 pm
I can recommend the KeySonic mini keyboard ACK-595C+ for example. Available from Amazon, Reichelt, etc.
Hi Peter,
As you suggested, I bought the KeySonic keyboard ACK 595 C+ but I noticed a problem, the keyboard is not automatically detected after a QL power up, it is necessary to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard's USB cable to make it work normally. From then on the keyboard works fine even after a QL reset.
It seems that the problem is inherent to the initial recognition of the keyboard only when the QL is first turned on. Same is valid using Minerva and Qimsikbd_bin or SMSQE.

In my store of keyboards and mice accumulated over the years I found another keyboard, an unbranded Chinese one which always works well even when the QL is initially turned on, so it seems that the problem is due to the recognition of the initial protocol of the PS/2 keyboard.

No luck regarding the mouse, I'm waiting for the suggested Hama mouse that I bought on eBay.

I'm also waiting for the cover I requested from Treatstock (10USD) based on QimsiV2.2.stl

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:40 pm As you suggested, I bought the KeySonic keyboard ACK 595 C+ but I noticed a problem, the keyboard is not automatically detected after a QL power up, it is necessary to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard's USB cable to make it work normally.
Weird. The keyboard works perfectly here. Issue 5 QL, original PSU, original 7805. 68008 with 512K DRAM expansion, GoldCard, SuperGoldCard all work fine with that keyboard.
bixio60 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:40 pm It seems that the problem is inherent to the initial recognition of the keyboard only when the QL is first turned on.
Unlike the mouse, there is no initial recognition by the loader. The keyboard is first accessed when KBD_PS2 is called.
Maybe the keyboard does not like the way your power supply ramps up. Please describe your setup. Especially the mainboard, backplane if applicable, the PSU used, whether you have replaced the QL's 7805, and which cards/drives/stuff draw current.