Expansion card plastic case parts

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Expansion card plastic case parts

Post by Pepperm »

Hi

Has anyone got any design files, or STL files for a suitable case section for the ends of QL expansion cards please? I am building a Trump Card 2 and want to 3D print a plastic cover for the end that sticks out…

I may also need help with the EPROM and GALs at some point for the Trump Card 2. It currently nearly works😂

Mark

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Expansion card plastic case parts

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Mike,

The PALs for Trump Card 2 Clone, are available on the Github site:

https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_Trump2 ... -interface

The ROM can be found on the QL Homage, see link above.

The End Cap on the real Trump Card was Black Anodised Steel, I have a couple of end covers, which I was going do a STL file to 3D Print.

But the Trump Card used the Cover as a heat sink for the voltage regulator. So maybe a DC-DC converter, like a TRACO TSR-12450, in place of the 7805 regulator would solve this.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Thanks for that Derek but there only seems to be one GAL file but there on the link. There are two on the board. I do have two files that I got from somewhere else for two GALs but they don’t seem to work at this point. Maybe I need to do more investigations?

I’ll have a go at making a 3D model if no one has one and yes, I’ll use a switching regulator. Also at the moment I plan to use the board without the RAM as I have another RAM expansion fitted to the QL’s processor.

Mark

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Pepperm wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:09 pm Has anyone got any design files, or STL files for a suitable case section for the ends of QL expansion cards please? I am building a Trump Card 2 and want to 3D print a plastic cover for the end that sticks out…
Maybe this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2897118

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Cheers, oddly I couldn't find that? I'll use that as good starting point.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had a look at the Trump Card 2 Clone PCB, inrelation to the Trump Card 1 cards I have.

The Trump Card 2 Clone PCB is dimensional the same Trump Card 1.

The Miracle Systems cover for the Trump Card is a Black Anodised or Painted Steel Cover, shown below in comparison to a QL Expansion Card plastic cover:
IMG_20231006_102558513.jpg
The QL Expansion Cover is 60mm long extending out of the QL, (assuming all expansions are the same length) the Trump card cover is 84mm long extending the length of the exposed part of the Trump Card board.
IMG_20231006_102614246.jpg
The Profile of the Trump Card Cover uses a dimple to secure at the side of the Trump Card PCB and is fastened to the PCB by a screw into the PCB and a bolt securing the voltage regulator to the Cover acting as Heat Sink.
IMG_20231006_102630992.jpg
The QL Expansion Port Cover fits the width of the Trump Card 2 Clone PCB, except it is too short by 14mm and the securing pillars and holes will need to be changed to suit the rump Card 2 Clone PCB.

Where is the Trump Card 2 Clone PCB layed on the QL Expansion Cover and the Trump Card 1 with Cover:
IMG_20231006_103620947.jpg
I think it should be possible to alter the 3D STL Model from the Thinguniverse, but the Voltage regulator will have to be changed from a 7805, due to heat generated, which may melt the 3D printed Plastic.

I will see if I can do this for my Trump Card 2 Clone PCB.

With regards to the PAL chips, maybe the Trump Card 1 PALs will work or the Tetroid TDI PALS, i will have to try this.

I need to programme 2 sets of PALs or GALs for my TC1 cards.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I loaded the QL Expansion Cover into Tinkercad and extended the length to 84mm to suit the Trump Card.
Trump Card Case.zip
(13.84 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I have not tried this and it will need appropriate securing holes to hold the Trump Card in place.

Regards,

Derek
Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Thanks for that, I'm printing now and will work of holes and bugs in the original afterwards.

Mark

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 pm Hi Mike,

The PALs for Trump Card 2 Clone, are available on the Github site:

https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_Trump2 ... -interface

The ROM can be found on the QL Homage, see link above.

The End Cap on the real Trump Card was Black Anodised Steel, I have a couple of end covers, which I was going do a STL file to 3D Print.

But the Trump Card used the Cover as a heat sink for the voltage regulator. So maybe a DC-DC converter, like a TRACO TSR-12450, in place of the 7805 regulator would solve this.
Please, be aware that the GAL files on my github are not the original one, but a compatible ones (only with minerva and only without aditional RAM) the original GAL that other people indicate me that work correctly with this PCB are in this forum.

For the case, I design one for the CST, it's here: https://github.com/alvaroalea/QL_CST_FL ... ee/main/3D
It do not match the trump, but include the original file for freecad, anyway I think it's easy to design one from zero than try to adapt it, but fell free to try.

Pepperm
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Pepperm »

Thanks for that and thanks for all your work on the TRUMP 2 card, but I am still a bit confused.

1. Which GAL files work with the TRUMP 2 board and do they allow the RAM on the board to work as well as the floppy interface?
2. Do I have to have the Minerva ROM in the QL for the TRUMP 2 card to work correctly?

At the moment, when the QL boots the boot screen shows my Minerva ROM, my TK2 ROM and the Floppy ROM as having loaded but the QL gets no further. F1 or F2 do not get me any further than the boot screen information. I have a minerva/TK2 ROM fitted along with a 512K RAM expansion fitted under the 68008 processor. I have no RAM fitted to the TRUMP 2 card and the relevent links made on the TRUMP 2 board, selecting no RAM as per the schematic.

I am making progress with a 3D printable "sleeve" for the board. I'll post here when I am happy that it prints and fits well.

Mark