turtle position

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: turtle position

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Steve,

Works fine when Turbo not loaded, can you make it work with Turbo?

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Theres a suggested solution here.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

Thanks for reminding about the update to Turbo.

I have a look at this, in relation to this type of programme.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

pjw wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:38 am Theres a suggested solution here.
Not strictly about turtle positions, but revisiting the thread referred to put me in mind of the correspondence I had with George Gwilt and John Southern. At the time, one year ago, they were both well and happy Im glad to report but I havent heard back re my Turbo query (the PEEK_F/POKE_F thing) since then.

One thing John wrote gnaws at my conscience that I havent followed up: "I still have the source somewhere for the QLUG site somewhere if somebody would like to host it." I wrote back to say Id ask around:

Is anyone willing and able to host the old QLUG site before it is irretrievably lost?

Is anyone close to either of these gentlemen and would be willing to talk to them or to write to arrange it?

I guess this sort of thing is going to crop up with greater frequency as time goes by..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I updated the Turbo Toolkit to v5.10 and the Penny_Drop3_bas programme works great.

Regards,

Derek
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,
As promised, I have made the Penny_Drop4 program much more challenging... Just UNZIP and LRUN.

When the start signal stops, use the '4' or '6' keys to move the penny left or right.
If any blueish vertical lines appear, avoid touching them or you will CRASH ! (These vertical gates will disappear if you wait a bit).
Dropping off levels is possible, but will lose you points on your scores.
When you drop off the bottom level, you move on to the next screen, after the audible end signals.
The aim of the game is to improve you scores as you get proficient.... and that's it for now !
I am still considering modifying this prototype to improve playability further, by adding 'fruit' to boost scores.

nb: QPC does not seem to like using RUN in a program, any more than QDOS did. (Using GOTO 100 avoids memory creep).

Steve .
Penny_Drop4.zip
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Here's a screen shot of Penny_Drop4.... (which hardly shows the diversity of the animated game ! ).

Steve.
Capture d’écran (87).png

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi again,

Don't worry, the program won't CRASH your computer..... it's just the term I misused for crashing into a gate !

Steve.
_________

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

stevepoole wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 pm Hi again,

Don't worry, the program won't CRASH your computer..... it's just the term I misused for crashing into a gate !

Steve.
_________

Hi Steve,

Works well on all my QPC2, SMSQmulator, Q68, with Turbo 5.10 runtimes installed.

Regards,

Derek
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,
Well, I think this will be the final development... Penny_Drop5_bas, which is much more challenging to play !

'Fruit' has been added to the see-saw levels, and harvesting them gains points.
Otherwise, every ime you get to a new screenfull, the speed increases and see-saws get shorter to increase difficulty...
Also, when 'gates' disappear (randomly), you lose points if you dither on the levels. Touch a gate and the game is over.
If you fall off the end of a see-saw, you lose points as you drop. (Brief instruction reminders are included in listing header remarks).

So, you have to think quickly as you play to maximise scores, which may end up being negative....
The aim of the game is to improve your scores, which is not at all as easy as it looks! Set yourself a target to reach, say 100 to start with.

Including ghouls was tried, but this ended up being very irritating, so I removed them.
Please report any bugs or quirks, but none found so far. Very addictive to test during development !

Steve.
Penny_Drop5.zip
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 30 times