- solved - search for ql-speaker

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
techy
Gold Card

Re: - solved - search for ql-speaker

Post by techy »

re pt1 ,

yes it is a real problem , as all outer eu parcels need to be IOSS or ................you will be charged BIG !!

and be careful as several uk " based " sinclair parts sellers are in fact chinese and NON IOSS .

re pt2 ,
IMG_4439.JPG
This is after i threw away all wood , dangerous electrics and household sockets and wall-switches .
It looked a bit like this ;
Apple_Prototype_(530273102).jpg
there was a double diskdrive and the owner had taken out the hdd and interface which he had already sold .

the part with the microdrives was used as one-unit so that fitted back rather nice , but the left side of the bottom has been sawed to fit the woodenbox he made , so the sizes were way off .
all was sawed by hand , so not a single straight line an partly re cut to make it fit the wood apparently , and glued to the wood with construction glue - Tec7 - .
so i had to put in more plastic to widen the case to fit the original top-cover , and make everything straight again .
after that i could only rattle-can spray it , looks terrible ( too glossy to my taste , but there is no semigloss clear varnish )but with the topcover on just does the job .

so what am i missing ,

all screws but i can compare to the other ql's i have
all rubber grommets to hold the feet ( feet are 3d printed already ) .
all small plastic covers , but a can 3d print those

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I thought that I had seen the pictures of the cut up QL, they come from the German QL Form "tlienhard"

https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4415

All in German, but Google Chrome/Brave Browser auto translates.

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

Yep , that was the build progress.

due to a hdd failure i don't have pictures of the wooden unit anymore , but i can tell you most people would have put it straight in the bin .

the main pcb was "adapted" with electrical wire , and all connectors removed and replaced by extension cables to new connectors ( so it really looked a mess ) .

i have replaced all cables , cleaned the pcb ( mouse house for a decade ) and then re-soldered the connectors .

main pcb works as it should now.

- btw , found a rattle-can matt clear varnish , and now it looks the thing ( matches the top half 95 % )

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

It's great that you are restoring it. Excited to see what it will look like when complete.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

if everything goes well , it should look ( from the top ) like a normal ql .

if tried to use some filler on the bottom , but all fillers i could source are harder than the plastic , so sanding it down creates more problems .

so the bottom from the bottom looks far from original ;-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I do not think a filler idea is going to work, you will need the same material to create a covalent bond to the two parts being joined.

The best method, I have seen on other internet sources is to melt plastic of the same type into the join where is it no noticeable and remove the excess, very hard to get a smooth join, but it seems not impossible.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

There are a myriad of "how to fix broken plastic parts" all over You Tube at the moment. For some reason, they come highly recommended for me! It seems that those plastic/nylon cable ties much loved by electricians and 3D Printer manufacturers, (Zip ties in America?) can be easily melted using a simple soldering iron and a bit of copper pipe, hammered flat, and suitable shaped.

This one, for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4T3KcM ... YXN0aWM%3D was the latest advised for my viewing entertainment.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Yes that is the sort of thing, assuming the plastic is Thermoplastic, and not Thermoset plastic.

Why not use a Black Tie Wrap ( or zip tie, for the Americans) ?

Regards,

Derek
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

it melts when heated so sure thermoplast .

i will see how the epoxy glue holds on ......and keep fingers crossed
Last edited by techy on Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

anyone got a few spare rubber grommets to hold the feet ??

feet have been 3d printed already.