SMSQ/E is for...

A place to discuss general QL issues.
cha05e90
ROM Dongle

SMSQ/E is for...

Post by cha05e90 »

...what?

Sorry - I'm (still) a newbie when it comes to the QL. I just made the step from a basic microdrive/floppy drive system to a littlebit more sophisticated "Winchester" based QL system (Tetroid/QL-SD). I already played with the usual pointer environment, have ~ 900 KB RAM, Toolkit II and Minerva ROMs in place and - maybe too naive - thought this would be something that could be used with the most modern form of "QL operating system".

Is my assumption correct that SMSQ/E (and the - at least for me - mythic "HBA" ROM) only works/exists with emulators or "next generation" QL's (Q40 eta al.)?

48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88&QL
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: SMSQ/E is for...

Post by tofro »

cha05e90 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:28 pm ...what?

Sorry - I'm (still) a newbie when it comes to the QL. I just made the step from a basic microdrive/floppy drive system to a littlebit more sophisticated "Winchester" based QL system (Tetroid/QL-SD). I already played with the usual pointer environment, have ~ 900 KB RAM, Toolkit II and Minerva ROMs in place and - maybe too naive - thought this would be something that could be used with the most modern form of "QL operating system".

Is my assumption correct that SMSQ/E (and the - at least for me - mythic "HBA" ROM) only works/exists with emulators or "next generation" QL's (Q40 eta al.)?
Current implementations of SMSQ/E for the original black box need at least a GoldCard - so, you're close, but not quite there.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
cha05e90
ROM Dongle

Post by cha05e90 »

Ah, thanks for the info - so more RAM and better processing power is mandatory.

48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88&QL
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

cha05e90 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 am Ah, thanks for the info - so more RAM and better processing power is mandatory.
As for CPU and memory requirements, SMSQ/E could also run on a 68008 with >=640 KB RAM. Actually the faster BASIC would be quite suitable for a slower CPU. The problem is that SMSQ/E needs to change the exception vectors to it's own routines. On (Super) Gold Cards this is possible, because they can provide RAM at address 0. On a standard QL, there is just fixed ROM here, so an alternative operating system can not be loaded.