Spem QL keyboard

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Spem QL keyboard

Post by Chr$ »

Don't think I can send pics in PM. Is the right area you needed to see? That electrolytic is in parallel with the diode next to it.
20230409_140630.jpg

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Delta
ROM Dongle

Post by Delta »

Thanks.
Does the diode or the capacitor leg touch the trace above it?
I have attached a picture of mine.
Attachments
IMG_20230409_121614.jpg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Both the diode and cap leg touch the trace above.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Delta
ROM Dongle

Post by Delta »

Chr$ - I believe you were correct regarding the keyswitches!

After removing the switches that were clearly malfunctioning, I was able to get all the keys working by making a triangular contact between the keyswitch points.

I have managed to order the Futaba key switches via my nephew who lives in Germany. Once they arrive, I will swap them all.

In the meantime, is there any way to safely open the existing keyswitches?!

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Delta wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:53 am Chr$ - I believe you were correct regarding the keyswitches!

After removing the switches that were clearly malfunctioning, I was able to get all the keys working by making a triangular contact between the keyswitch points.

I have managed to order the Futaba key switches via my nephew who lives in Germany. Once they arrive, I will swap them all.

In the meantime, is there any way to safely open the existing keyswitches?!
I think they're plastic welded together with round welds in each corner. You can get them apart and probably also re-glue them back together, but the actual switch part is below a membrane which is also stuck down and can't really be removed without damaging it. You can try to put some contact cleaner around the plunger so that it soaks down. That might make some work but really all you can do is replace them.

Delta
ROM Dongle

Post by Delta »

After receiving the keyswitches and removing the old to be replaced by the new, I am delighted to announce that my keyboard is finally working!
Thank you to all those who helped in particular Chr$!

I now need to work on a way to transplant the inards of my QL into a larger case so the keyboard can be connected in a more elegant way!
Attachments
IMG_20230427_185932.jpg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Excellent. I see you have no mdvs fitted. Could the Spem connection not run through that drive gap?

Delta
ROM Dongle

Post by Delta »

I have ordered a vDrive - should be here any day now :D - that will occupy one mdv spot so I could use the other. But with my RAM expansion and "new" keyboard, I would like to attempt a big box style QL.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

It's a bit tricky finding one. Some AT cases had the required length, but there's probably no way to tell for sure without trying (and some cutting). I have a QL built into an AT case that uses the original AT PSU and has a back plane etc. The original owner built it in 1990.

Good luck to you.

Delta
ROM Dongle

Post by Delta »

Chr$ wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:22 pm It's a bit tricky finding one. Some AT cases had the required length, but there's probably no way to tell for sure without trying (and some cutting). I have a QL built into an AT case that uses the original AT PSU and has a back plane etc. The original owner built it in 1990.

Good luck to you.
Impressive. What manner of AT psu produced a 15.6V AC output?!