International QL keyboard layouts

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: International QL keyboard layouts

Post by Cristian »

K.jpg
Klingon layout

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

Peter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:56 pm
Chr$ wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:26 pm Here is Finland (wish I hadn't sold that one!). Note that the '6 + up arrow' next to the enter key is not original, [...]
No problem, I think Petri can clarify this.
Here's the Finnish keyboard:
QL Finnish2.jpg
EDIT: replace image with a usable one, thank you Peter
Last edited by ppe on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Cristian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 pm K.jpg
Klingon layout
Do you have an MGKL ROM for it? ;)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tofro wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:43 pm
Cristian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 pm K.jpg
Klingon layout
Do you have an MGKL ROM for it? ;)
:D

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi Peter,

I must have been snoozing as I've not heard of your new board. Looks really great. Is there a thread in the forums with further details (I could not find one)?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Hi Jean-Yves,

shame on me... I didn't yet start a topic about QLbase. I know I should. You can find a few hints starting here: viewtopic.php?p=46558#p46558

I demonstrated QLbase at the German Sinclair meeting last year already. It is currently only used by a few friends. QLbase would mostly be used together with the Qzero. To finish and document the Qzero for a wider audience is only going very slowly.

Getting a better (and more international) QL keyboard to PS/2 conversion is a good thing in any case. It can also be used "standalone".

Peter

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone!

I am collaborating with Stephan and Peter in the development of the QLbase, focusing on the internationalisation (i18n) of Stephan's marvelous QL matrix to PS/2 converter that is built-in to the board.

Thank you for the photos of the various country keyboard layouts that have been provided thus far. I'm focusing on adding French and Italian support in the first instance as we already have the respective IBM drivers for these languages built-in to SMSQe. The UK and German layouts are already mostly complete.

In addition to the visible key caps, some country KB layouts also make significant use of the CTRL+Key combination for common characters, which of course are not displayed on the QL keycaps and therefore not in the photos.

For this, I would need visibility of the country-specific copy of the QL User Guide, Concepts section that lists all the key-strokes, including CTRL, ALT etc.

So, if anyone here has a country-localised copy of the Concepts section of the QL User Guide they could attach here, I'd be very grateful. I'm not even sure whether Sinclair released language specific guides, but if you can dig yours out and provide the relevant section, I can proceed with the localisation of the KB driver.

Once French and Italian are complete, I'd then look to adding other country IBM KB support to SMSQe itself - and then to the QLbase - and will update this thread then to ask which countries I should focus on.

As a final note, I can report that I have been using a couple of the QLbase boards with both my Q68 and a Qzero for a couple of months now - both with great success. I'll share the results of my tinkering in due course, but actively encourage any existing or forthcoming Q68/Qzero users to look in to the QLbase - especially if you have a spare empty QL KB/case waiting to be put to good use!

Warm regards from London...

obgonzalez
ROM Dongle

Post by obgonzalez »

Hi,

This is the spanish "concepts section".

I hope you find it useful.

Kind regards
Attachments
4_conceptos.pdf
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 49 times

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Gracias, Sgn Gonzalez!
obgonzalez wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:38 pm This is the spanish "concepts section".

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hello Martin.

Marel introduced support for the Spanish keyboard layout in the latest versions of SMSQ/E for QL. Now, both for the classic QL keyboard and for PC-type keyboards, the driver works correctly with all the peculiarities of the Spanish keyboard.

Could that implementation possibly be helpful to you?