QL Networking

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

QL Networking

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Snvlair QL has a built in Network system that with Toolkit 2 installed allows peer-peer networking for up to 127 QL computers.

I have only connected 3 QLs, QXL, Q68 together on the QL Network.

The main use is a QL with Trump card networked to a Q68 to run software from the Q68.

What sort QL network setup does everyone use?

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: QL Networking

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek!

My network setup is probably a little esoteric, but here goes:

3 QLs with custom memory expansion running Minerva 1.98 and TK2 3.34
1 QL with SGC running Minerva 1.98
1 QXL running SMSQe 3.3x
2 Q68s running Minerva4Q68 or SMSQe v3.38
1 QPC on PC with QLUB Adapter
3 Spectrums with Int-1, one running a custom ROM and Shadow ROM (based on Ian Colliers work, plus some networking fixes.)

All can harmoniously talk over the network, although obviously, the Spectrums can only interact via the basic NW driver and not the QL's FSERVE.

Most of my actual NW usage is to transfer files across from my PC where I download stuff or develop code over to the target QL/Specte/Q68.

Like I say, not your average NW user perhaps....

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

martyn_hill wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:49 pm Like I say, not your average NW user perhaps....
I wonder if there is an average QL network user at all? ;)

In my case, the setup is always changing, as my machines have no fixed place. If most are connected, which is rare, something like this:
A Q68 connected to a PC via ethernet, to a Q60 via SERNET and to a QL plus a Qzero plus a second Q68 via QL network.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Well, here it's an old Pentium hosting a QXL card that acts as a file server for two QLs and one Q68.

Every now and then I use the wonderful new stacks for the Q68 and QPC to bridge the network to the modern world, but that's only ever a temporary setup.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I have the Q68 - now modded to for 2 network ports in the front, 2 black box QL's - one issue TX and one issue 7, and in build an aurora / SGC mini tower (was an old raid enclosure) . I will add to that one of Martyn's QL to USB link networks, so I can connect in the emulator too. I might experiment with adding further devices on the network - and probably get the Q68 onto my wired LAN in the man cave for access to NAS and my Hyper-v server.