QL Homepage

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Homepage

Post by dilwyn »

When my troublesome domain name comes to an end on 13th March, the dilwyn.me.uk QL site will shut down.

But thanks to the nice Mr Heaton who runs QL Forum, what is currently the backup site will become the new QL Homepage.

The URL of the new site is https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/index.html and already available - please change your bookmarks now. Can see improvements already - such as the contact message form suddenly starting to work.

Between now and then, the old QL Homepage will be replaced by a temporary forwarder to the dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk site as a reminder.

XorA
Site Admin

Re: QL Homepage

Post by XorA »

Woohoo, it would have been a massive loss to community if your page disappeared!

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Oh just seen this - yes, a massive loss.

If you do decide to close it, would you allow someone else to host the QL contents?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Sparrowhawk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:59 am Oh just seen this - yes, a massive loss.

If you do decide to close it, would you allow someone else to host the QL contents?
Well, QL Forum will host it, says Rob.
Don't mind if anyone wishes to host another copy, in the same way as Rob used to for the "old" site. Probably best to auto-mirror it, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Runs really fast on the new server.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Oh! Several people have told me it's a lot s-l-o-w-e-r now. Which is my experience of QL Forum too - there's often a long delay before anything happens, but downloading itself is quite fast once it starts.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:25 pm Oh! Several people have told me it's a lot s-l-o-w-e-r now. Which is my experience of QL Forum too - there's often a long delay before anything happens, but downloading itself is quite fast once it starts.
Odd the new forum hosting is noticeably faster for a large chunk of people including me!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I get the same issue with the Forum itself - fast once it's started, but a very noticeable delay before anything starts. Type in www.qlforum.co.uk and press ENTER, then wait for something to start happening. Once started, it's fast. I don't get this effect with most other sites. Just tried it with my mobile here, but since reception is patchy in the house, it wasn't a good test. I'll try it with my laptop when I'm somewhere else for comparison.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Maybe I process it faster??

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:10 pm I get the same issue with the Forum itself - fast once it's started, but a very noticeable delay before anything starts. Type in www.qlforum.co.uk and press ENTER, then wait for something to start happening. Once started, it's fast. I don't get this effect with most other sites. Just tried it with my mobile here, but since reception is patchy in the house, it wasn't a good test. I'll try it with my laptop when I'm somewhere else for comparison.
From that description your ISP/Network Provider has terrible slow DNS lookups!