ND-MQ - New Network Driver for the QLUB Adapter

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: ND-MQ - New Network Driver for the QLUB Adapter

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi afx!
afx wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:33 pmPerfect! Changing the time constants, with the nettime_bas utility, now the systems are much more robust and reliable in the QL-SGC station with SMSQ/e. I have applied the change suggested by Martin, ndt_rbit from 14 to 15.
Marvelous news :-)

But until I release the next update to the firmware (very soon), watch-out for that 'bizarre filelength problem' :-)

If you construct a file on the SGC-QL of, say 89 bytes (e.g.

Code: Select all

PRINT FILL$(CHR$(32),89);
- note the semicolon to end the PRINT statement) , start FSERVE there, then attempt to LBYTES the new file from the QLUB/Emulator, you'll see what I mean. That was a knarly bug to figure-out!

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

martyn_hill wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:06 pm Bonjour Francois!

I don't know if the Mac version of QemuLator gives the same access to the SERial ports from inside the emulator, nor whether whether there is a Virtual COM Port driver for Mac to connect with the USB port of the QLUB Adapter. But, I strongly suspect it will work just as well on that platform...
From the web page of qemulator, it looks like serial communication is not implemented on the mac version. Too bad. Will have to settle for less efficient ways of moving things around.

François

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

FrancoisLanciault wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm <>
From the web page of qemulator, it looks like serial communication is not implemented on the mac version. Too bad. Will have to settle for less efficient ways of moving things around.

François
How about TCP/IP?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Qemulator can run SMSQ/E, so why use SerNET to transfer the data, just need to setup the serial ports correctly and use a null modem lead.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Francois!
FrancoisLanciault wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pmFrom the web page of qemulator, it looks like serial communication is not implemented on the mac version.
That's odd - now that I read Daniele's web-page again, I see at least two references to SERial ports in relation to the Mac version of Q-emuLator suggesting that the serial ports are supported.

e.g. "Q-emuLator has an interpreter of the 68008's instructions, and emulates the basic QL's hardware, redirecting input and output to the Mac's or PC's video, keyboard, mouse, disks, sound hardware and serial ports."

Where did you read that the Mac version doesn't support the SERial ports?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, I did not read the message correctly.

Regards,

Derek
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

martyn_hill wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:37 pm Hi Francois!
FrancoisLanciault wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pmFrom the web page of qemulator, it looks like serial communication is not implemented on the mac version.
That's odd - now that I read Daniele's web-page again, I see at least two references to SERial ports in relation to the Mac version of Q-emuLator suggesting that the serial ports are supported.

e.g. "Q-emuLator has an interpreter of the 68008's instructions, and emulates the basic QL's hardware, redirecting input and output to the Mac's or PC's video, keyboard, mouse, disks, sound hardware and serial ports."

Where did you read that the Mac version doesn't support the SERial ports?
I just looked at the list of emulated hardware for both platforms:

MAC:
Q-emuLator for macOS emulates the following QL hardware:

68008 processor
keyboard
display (512x256x4, 256x256x8)
Aurora and Q60 video cards
interrupts
file system (access to Mac files, QDOS floppy disks, QXL.WIN files, .ZIP and .QLPAK packages, microdrive and floppy images)
sound
built-in ram disk
mouse support
TCP/IP driver
partial Gold Card emulation (to allow SMSQ/E to run)

WINDOWS:
Q-emuLator emulates the following QL hardware:

68008 processor
keyboard
display (512x256x4, 256x256x8)
Q40/Q60 video card (512x256x65536, 1024x512x65536, 1024x768x65536)
Aurora video card (512x256x4, 1024x768x4, 512x480x256)
interrupts
file system (access to Windows files, QDOS floppy disks, QXL.WIN files, .ZIP and .QLPAK packages, microdrive and floppy images)
sound
QL Sampled Sound System
serial ports
parallel ports
dot matrix printer emulation
built-in ram disk
mouse support
joystick
TCP/IP driver
built-in machine code debugger
partial Gold Card emulation (to allow SMSQ/E to run)

No sign of serial ports emulation on the Mac but it is there for Windows. But you seem to have dig deeper in the documentation then my quick review of the specs. I guess Daniele could clarify things up.

François

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

Serial ports are not supported on the Mac version of Q-emuLator, they are only available on Windows. They used to be supported pre-OS X, but then the OS and APIs changed and Macs no longer had hardware serial ports.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

FrancoisLanciault wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm From the web page of qemulator, it looks like serial communication is not implemented on the mac version. Too bad. Will have to settle for less efficient ways of moving things around.
As far as I know, the old 68K version of Qemulator under Basilisk runs even on the latest ARM based Macs. The Basilisk serial port emulation is known to work with USB-SER adaptors. Not ideal, I know.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Ciao Daniele
M68008 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:12 am Serial ports are not supported on the Mac version of Q-emuLator, they are only available on Windows. They used to be supported pre-OS X, but then the OS and APIs changed and Macs no longer had hardware serial ports.
Thanks for confirming. I can add that note to my compilation of 'compatible systems' for the QLUB. Pity, as the new driver works especially well under QemuLator for Windows...