how to connect two sinclair ql with serial connectors

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
didier
ROM Dongle

how to connect two sinclair ql with serial connectors

Post by didier »

hello

excuse me for my English .... I am French ...

I would like to connect two sinclair QL .... I read that you need two QL Serial type connectors (BT-631W) ...

Or can I find these two connectors with the cable that connects them?

and then , the ql manual does not explain much , how to make a small program (in basic) to read for example the catalog of the first ql on the second ql (this is an example) ...

Is there also a programming protocol (in basic) to connect the two?

thank you very much

and excuse me for my angais

didier

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: how to connect two sinclair ql with serial connectors

Post by dilwyn »

Here is an article on my QL blog. It explains where you can buy the British QL serial plugs: https://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2020/09/0 ... ick-plugs/

There are articles on my website about serial connections.

But would it be easier to use the QL network to connect two QLs?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

dilwyn wrote: But would it be easier to use the QL network to connect two QLs?
Connecting two QLs that have a decently "modern" mainboard (JM should suffice) is definitely a lot easier and also a lot faster than what you can achieve with the poor serial ports of the original QL.

Simply use a piece of loudspeaker wire, solder a pair of mono 3.5mm earphone plugs to it and you're Bob's nephew.

While the maximum working baudrate you could hope to achieve connecting 2 QLS over serial is maybe 2400 Baud, network is roughly 30 times that fast, and much more reliable. If you have TK2 installed, you can even set up a relatively comfortable file server and access files on station x by opening "nx_flp1_<file>" without any additional software.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Bonsoir Didier

I agree with Dilwyn and Tobias - if you really want effective communication between QLs, you are probably best focussing your efforts on using the native QL Network ('QLAN'.)

I attach a document that provides some guidance on use of QLAN, which also suggests other online resources you might find useful in getting QLAN to work for you.

In any case, there are many folks here who would be happy to assist with either approach (SERial or QLAN.)

Good luck!
Attachments
Networking the QL (Part 1).pdf
Networking the QL (Part 1) - v1.5, Dec 2020
(776.24 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

tofro wrote:Simply use a piece of loudspeaker wire, solder a pair of mono 3.5mm earphone plugs to it and you're Bob's nephew.
Better use a shielded cable.