RasPiQL

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: RasPiQL

Post by Derek_Stewart »

pjw wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:<>
Whats a Q80?
Shorthand for Q60 @ 80 MHz
No.... A Q60 has a 68060 CPU, the correct shorthand would be: Q60-clock_speed, e.g Q60-66 or in your case a Q60-80 with a 80Mhz clock speed.

you have just implied a 68080 CPU

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote:
XorA wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote: Hi,

I can only allocate maximum of 16Mb in sQLux and UQLX, how do I increase the memory size?
You need to change the code where allocation occurs.
It occurs to me when I make this change software that uses the top 8 bits of the A? registers for flags will start to fail. I am assuming that case is actually quite rare in QDOS?
I have a quick look at the C source code, but could see were to change the ram size, but judging the previous comments, the change is not straight forward and beyond my programming skills.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
XorA wrote:
XorA wrote:
You need to change the code where allocation occurs.
It occurs to me when I make this change software that uses the top 8 bits of the A? registers for flags will start to fail. I am assuming that case is actually quite rare in QDOS?
I have a quick look at the C source code, but could see were to change the ram size, but judging the previous comments, the change is not straight forward and beyond my programming skills.
Given everyone (https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerva4Q68) keeps saying 16M is the largets Minerva can address, I wonder why you want this change?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
XorA wrote:
Given everyone (https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerva4Q68) keeps saying 16M is the largets Minerva can address, I wonder why you want this change?
Sorry, I did not suggest the change, or even use SMSQ/E.

I was just following other suggestions.

I would leave the memory maximum size as it is, sd 16Mb is enough for most QL applications.

A better idea would to alter SMSQ/E Gold to run on a standard QL.

Or could sQLux be structured to look like a Gold/Super Card?

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Code: Select all

k.issp  equ     $4c024c02       initial ssp - no longer used as such

l vec.l k.issp ss_ramt  ; 00  0 initial SSP     08  2 initial PC
So this means Minerva requires that addresses are truncated, otherwise SSP is a way out in the wilds and gets carried through the whole ROM on uqlx codebase!

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

XorA wrote:

So this means Minerva requires that addresses are truncated, otherwise SSP is a way out in the wilds and gets carried through the whole ROM on uqlx codebase!
Maybe I don't understand your conclusion, but this initial A7 is never referenced. It's changed early in the reset routine to a real value, so this is no show stopper.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

mk79 wrote:
XorA wrote:

Maybe I don't understand your conclusion, but this initial A7 is never referenced. It's changed early in the reset routine to a real value, so this is no show stopper.
it definitely is referenced. if i remove address truncation i need to zero first byte of rom to boot. I can see this address leaking into addresses later in boot.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

XorA wrote:
mk79 wrote:
XorA wrote:

it definitely is referenced. if i remove address truncation i need to zero first byte of rom to boot. I can see this address leaking into addresses later in boot.
i have not yet tracked down where, and may obviously be some uqlx hack gone wrong.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

XorA wrote:i have not yet tracked down where, and may obviously be some uqlx hack gone wrong.
That's what I suspect. After reset it just executes ii_raw, which doesn't use the stack at all (or any RAM really), and immediately afterwards at the label "retry" it is set to a sensible value.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Generating a 16 MB version of Q68 SMSQ/E is not a problem. And more memory is quite pointless as long as UQLX only supports graphics MODE 4.