.win files and TDI

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

.win files and TDI

Post by guibrush »

Hi, I have a TDI interface on my QL that work fine. I got recently an .win image that contain a nice system for the original QL and would like to load it on the CF that is used by the TDI interface. Somehow I fail to understand if it's doable, as the CF is formatted directly in the TDI usable format. Is there a way to do that? Thanks a lot for the help :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: .win files and TDI

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The .win file or QWA file, sometimes called a QXL.WIN, I save to a FAT formatted SD Card and insert this into a Q68 and connect the QL TDI to Q68 with the QL NETwork and transfer the files.

Okay, you may not have a Q68, so QLUB by Martin Hill can connect the QL Network to QPC2, which QPC2 can read the .win directly and copy over the Network to the QL.... No QLUB.... I have some PCBs to be made up, just need a casd 3D printed.

Probably, the easiest and slowest is to mount the .win file in QPC2 and copy the files to floppy disk and transfer to Trump card, this slow, as Trump card can only read 720K DD disks.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

Thanks for the reply. Looks complicated. Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do:
I found this nice video with a good looking interface as desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-F49tVfPg&t=16s
and saw that the autor give a link to his images. The problem is that he use a QL SD where I have a tetroid interface. I'm digging in the official QL/E release for tetroid but fail to find this interface (launchpad), this is why I wanted to give a try to his image

I have the feeling that the best thing to do is to replace my tetroid with a ql SD, but are those available? I don't know.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Open the .win in QPC and copy all files on a DOS directory
Put CF card in PC and then run Habi Image Editor. Select Open Disc and open the CF card. Then copy all files from DOS directory to CF.
(read the Habi manual, as you have to copy all files without the DOS header)

You can find launchpad here: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/launchpad/launchpad.html

guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

ok, thanks!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have looked the You Tube video again, and downloaded the 2 QXL.WIN files, 100mb each, I will see if a solution can be achieved.

I did not mention the HABI Qubide image file copier, as there is occasional problems with corrupting the Qubide partition. The Qubide interface on the Tetroid TDI is QubATA, which is a different partition table format than Qubide v2.xx ... but worth a try.

QL-SD is a easy interface to produce, Peter Graf, made the QL-SD interface designs available under a GPL Licence, Marcel Kilgus updated the QL-SD designs and has made all the uodates on his web site. But does sell it, due the "chip storage problem"

I was going to make some QL-SD interfaces for myself, but it opens a licencsing issue, maybe I am wrong there...

Is there any interest in the QL-SD ?

Regards,

Derek
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Derek_Stewart wrote:... Okay, you may not have a Q68, so QLUB by Martin Hill can connect the QL Network to QPC2, which QPC2 can read the .win directly and copy over the Network to the QL....
By the way, is the native QDOS driver for QL Network access with QLUB available yet?

guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

@ Derek_Stewart
Thank you very much, this is much appreciated! I'm curious to see if it's doable.
Thanks for the infos about the QL-SD. If you manage to make one, I'm interested into buying it yes :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been playing with the Habi Qubide Image Editor, which works perfectly with QubATA formatted CF Cards.

The 2 QXL.WIN files mentioned in the YouTube video, have a directory structure, so using Andrew's comment of transfering the files from a DOS directory to the QubATA partition, does work well, but subdirectory structure is lost.

So I made a zip file of each QXL.WIN file contents in QPC2 using infozip and ACP, so that the resultant zip file includes the directoty structure and executsble headers when extracted in the TDI partition with infounzip.

I suppose I could of tr.ansferred the individual files, got Habi to strip off the header, recreate the hard directory structure. The zip file process in this example seems the best way.

However, connecting the QL TDI to Q68 via QL Network, with Q68 connected to QPC2 via Sernet or Ethernet to transfer the files to the QL is the best way, no disk swopping.

Or put the QXL.WIN files on a FAT formatted SD Card, mount the QXL.WIN files in the Q68 and copy the files from Q68 to QL TDI over QL Network...

Regards,

Derek
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunaly, I'm not able to connect the QL to anything to make transfert, so I'm stuck. I not quite sure to understand the first sentence: did you managed to copy the content of the .win images into an image compatible with the Metroid disk interface?