ZX Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 just launched

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 just launched

Post by Sparrowhawk »

My but this thing oozes quality. Everything from the computer itself to the manual, quick start guide, plugs, on-off switch, packaging. It's all pro level stuff.

Not time to actually play with it yet as I have some APIs to write (boo!) and am going out for drinks tonight (yay!)

This weekend is going to be replacing my QL keyboard membrane and setting up the Next. Could be worse ;)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

They are appearing on eBay now for £750 to £950 or thereabouts…

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Too expensive, just another Spectrum with Beta Basic, however, I might save up for one and get rid of the older Spectrums.

I wish they had reduced the price with quantity they are making, like the Raspberry PI.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

The ebay prices were to be expected I guess. I think the same happened after KS1 completed.

I terms of original price, I personally don't think £325 (for the "Accelerated" model) is too expensive for what is a beautiful piece of kit. Everything in this is a labour of love, from the computer itself which is even better in the hand than in pics, the manual, the accessories, the packaging, the software. All superb.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

It's also a small production run in the great scheme of things and so there's no economy of scale, not helped by the chip shortages and price gouging by the FPGA chip suppliers.

They're lucky that they managed to get those FPGA chips within 3 years as many have multi-year lead times at the moment due to the electric car industry hoovering up all the chips the fabs can make. Even big network infrastructure manufacturers such as Cisco and HPe are still having supply issues with FPGAs and their switches have more than doubled in price of the last couple of years.

The DE10, used as the basis for the MiSTer systems, has gone from ~£100 to ~£300 in the last year too.

So, putting it into that perspective the Next KS2 is still good value.

Oh, and if you take inflation into account, that £125 you would have paid for a 16K ZX Spectrum in 1982 would now be the equivalent of £500.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The main problem I have is that I am very poor and can not afford to buy all these fancy ready made computers, so I have to build them myself.

Spectrum Next, more expensive than the cost of a Q68, which is still the same price and it can not run a QL operating system, there maybe a QL core for the Next, but does it run SMSQ/E?

The Mister, or DE-10 Nano, has a QL Core, which only runs Minerva, but not SMSQ/E. But the Mister QL needs an RAM expansion board, I/O Board, so it is too expensive.

I have sold myself a the last Q68 so maybe do not need this type of thing.

By the way, the price of the Q68 has not changed since I posted production details over 4 years.

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:07 pm The main problem I have is that I am very poor and can not afford to buy all these fancy ready made computers, so I have to build them myself.
Fair point. You are right that this is a luxury purchase. I just think for the quality of the product, it's good value. I fully accept that it's not universally affordable. As you say, it would be great if they could get the price down, but as Stephen points out, the small run and the fact that it has to come from China probably means that this won't happen in the near future. The N-GO is a much more affordable option, as you get a 100% KS1 compatible board, just without that lovely exterior shell/keyboard.
Spectrum Next, more expensive than the cost of a Q68, which is still the same price and it can not run a QL operating system, there maybe a QL core for the Next, but does it run SMSQ/E?
I believe there is, but it's not in a releasable state at the moment, and the author is I think more interested in writing arcade machine cores so it may never be available. But TBH, I didn't really want a Next for the QL side of things, I have a QL and Q68 for that, but for its enhanced Spectrum and CP/M abilities. Also I'll probably get the BBC and Amstrad cores running too if they update them for the new FPGA. A QL core would be a bonus of course, one more machine able to run QDOS is always a good thing :)
By the way, the price of the Q68 has not changed since I posted production details over 4 years.
The Q68 was and is amazing value for money. Thanks again for building them - it's very much appreciated.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

Hello
The QL core for the mister runs SMSQE
https://www.kilgus.net/ql/mister/
Mister SMSQE1.png
Mister SMSQE1.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Mister SMSQE2.png
Mister SMSQE2.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Pros
HDMI
Mouse USB/BT
Keyboard USB/BT
QXL.win
Speed 24Mhz +
RTC/Internet Clock

Cons
Prize
Issues with RAM Expansions
Only native QL resolution

the is a new project with a $30 FPGA ...
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43080

Greetings from Switzerland
Markus

RichardCGH
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by RichardCGH »

Got my Spectrum Next a few days ago.
Will probably unpack it and set it up in the next few days.
And then wonder what I'm going to do with it.
Maybe play Wonderland or Lords of Midnight ?
Nearly all the new Next software seems to be rehashed versions of old arcade games which I never was a big fan of.

Anyone had any luck porting QL progs to the Next ?

I suspect I'm not alone in maybe not being so enthusiastic about the Next as I was initially.
COVID definitely hasn't helped - I have long COVID, so my memory isn't so good, I get brain fog (find it difficult to focus) and generally lack the energy to get on with things.
And I've lost friends and family - which makes this time of year rather miserable.
Anyways - We shall see.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

@Rich
Porting programs to the Next from the QL should be relatively easy, if we're talking BASIC. The next even has an 85 column mode, although I have a feeling that is limited to 2 colours (don't quote me on that). I suspect most SuperBASIC keywords have NextBASIC equivalents.

I think that there are quite a few original Next titles - I recommend getting hold of some of the recent Crash annuals from Fusion Retro Books - quite a few listed in there iirc.

Also the Next makes for a cracking CP/M 80 machine, so you can play Zork and a number of other text adventures. I've been toying with the idea of porting Dreamlands to CP/M using CBASIC2, which is a relatively decent BASIC, and compiled so speed will be fine.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves