DIY QubIDE Parts list

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
XorA
Site Admin

Re: DIY QubIDE Parts list

Post by XorA »

axeman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:29 pm
dilwyn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:11 pm For the WIN_DISK command, does the INIT have to be in quotes, as a string?
Don't think so dilwyn as I've tried both and get the same result i.e. don't get invalid command or parameter.

BTW whay happened to your site as there are loads of links on QUBIDE pointing to it ?
See QL Homepage link at the top of forum! I think dilwyn is sick of explaining what happened to his site by now :-D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

My apologies, the WIN_DISK commands requires the command option to be in quotes, so to initialise the drive, which dextroys all the data and creztes a new partition table, use:

WIN_DISK "INIT",1

then, create the partition:

WIN_DISK "CREATE",1,1,64

Then format the drive.

This is all in the QubATA Manual.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dilwyn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:11 pm For the WIN_DISK command, does the INIT have to be in quotes, as a string?
Don't think so dilwyn as I've tried both and get the same result i.e. don't get invalid command or parameter.

BTW whay happened to your site as there are loads of links on QUBIDE pointing to it ?
OK, so the commands must detect by name rather than string (never used QubATA, only inferred that from the manual).

Read the multitude of recent posts to find out what happened to my QL Homepage site (hint: look at top of QL Forum home page).
EDIT: Derek's reply and mine crossed, sorry.

axeman
ROM Dongle

Post by axeman »

Apologies dilwyn didn't want to open up an old wound. Had loads of sites with 123-reg myself and have just about moved away from them now.
dilwyn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:46 pm

OK, so the commands must detect by name rather than string (never used QubATA, only inferred that from the manual).

Read the multitude of recent posts to find out what happened to my QL Homepage site (hint: look at top of QL Forum home page).
EDIT: Derek's reply and mine crossed, sorry.

axeman
ROM Dongle

Post by axeman »

Thanks for the help so far

I'm trying the Jessops 64Mb and a Sandisk 64MB which are supposed to be more reliable but get the same on both

WIN_FORMAT 1
WIN_DISK "INIT",1
returns not found

WIN_DISK "CREATE",1,1,64
returns not found

pr0f - Pin 9 is grounded on the adapter

I'll look into the RGB cable issue later once this is solved

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Just in case you can not find thevsupport files, here is the QubATA manual.
QubATA_Manual_Rev2.pdf
QubATA Manual
(895.72 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

axeman wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:22 pm I'm trying the Jessops 64Mb and a Sandisk 64MB which are supposed to be more reliable but get the same on both
I wonder! Many years ago, I bought an iRiver H340 music player -- bear with me, it will get relevant ;) -- which has an IDE drive of around 340 MB. However, it had a seriously short battery life, which was shorter than I would have liked. I bought an IDE adaptor and a 64 Gb Compact Flash card and replaced the IDE drive.

The adaptor did not work in the H340 and neither did another one I also purchased or obtained -- I can't quite remember -- more recently. The CF card itself is fine and is currently embedded in the music console in MrsD's Honda CRV, and has all her music on it, as opposed to mine. :(

So, my point being, perhaps the IDE->CF adaptor isn't working or isn't compatible with the QubIDE? Just a thought. I'm not sure how you would go about testing it though.

Having said this, I do hope you get it working.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
axeman
ROM Dongle

Post by axeman »

Also might a Minerva ROM reveal more troubleshooting info?

Is there anyway to format the card on a PC such as with DrvImage for the Spectrum ?
Last edited by axeman on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axeman
ROM Dongle

Post by axeman »

Thanks Derek. Invaluable.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:24 pm Hi,

Just in case you can not find thevsupport files, here is the QubATA manual.
QubATA_Manual_Rev2.pdf

axeman
ROM Dongle

Post by axeman »

Progress!!
Managed to get the SanDisk 64Mb CF card to work. I noticed the adapter card light didn't come on when turning on the QL and there was activity when the Qubata boot messages came on. Plus the card name is shown.

The usual Win_format, win_disk init commands worked and I was able to format the card albeit at 32mb as trying to format 64mb reported disk full.

However on reboot the adapter light was full on immediately and went off during Qubata boot messages and the card again wouldn't work. At least it's progress 😁