Problem after installing minerva

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Re: Problem after installing minerva

Post by Chris_68 »

Mine is issue 5, the photo is rotated ..
Attachments
IMG_7447.jpeg

Fred de Boer
ROM Dongle

Post by Fred de Boer »

I took last month a picture of my other QL
Attachments
IMG_0382.jpeg

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Interesting development, Fred :-)

As for the placement of the two original ROMs, actually it doesn't matter at all which of the two sockets they are fitted in to as both have exactly the same pinout. The Masked ROMs take this in their stride due to the way the Chip select logic is enabled in each ROM.

Of all the start-up problems I've seen, I've never yet seen missing text in those small windows - until now!

The fact that cleaning the legs and reseating made some difference suggest to me more of a mechanical root cause such as poor contacts/damaged DIL socket or solder connections.

Do you get a different result if you do swap the two JM ROMs between the two sockets? If the sockets/contacts are at fault, I'd expect to see a -different- error when they are swapped.

Did you happen to try the Minerva board in both sockets? (Again, it will work in either socket under 'normal' circumstances.)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Minerva ROM will work in any of the ROM Sockets. I usually have Minerva & QLSD in Socket IC34, nearest the 8302, to reduce the cable length of the QLSD Card reader, But Minerva can work in Socket IC33.

Pin 1 is the back left back side of IC33, IC34

The JS, JM, AH ROMs require a specific socket:

IC33 : JS-0000 9256
IC34 : JS-8000 9128

Have you tried cleaning the legs of the QL ROMs and Minerva.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

You might also want to try removing and re-fitting the 68008, ZX3801, ZX8302, and the 8049.

The sockets are not very good, and the IC legs can get tarnished. And they tend to 'creep' out of the sockets over time.

When you first removed the ROM's you might have flexed the PCB enough to disturb one of the other chips.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Clean de socket.
First thing to do.
Check socket pins connection
Second thing to do.
Check IC plugged into the socket pin connection (from leds from the IC to the board socket pin).
Third thing to do.
Check the IC that you have used have not internal shortcuts.
Last thing to do.

When it was working and only replacing the IC it stopped working, that is the most common problem. With Agnus on Amiga happens very often that. Contacts with the socket.
If you have done all that previously, and the problem persist, then let's check next step.

chriskgnr
Brittle Membrane

Post by chriskgnr »

Is this a bented pin27? And in front of rom ic, i see the ZTX transistor pushed down.
QL.jpg