QIMSi Gold

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
qbits
Trump Card

QIMSi Gold

Post by qbits »

Hi Peter

Comparing the qimsi Documentation for video connection with HDMI Monitor pin out - see attached
HDMI Connector.jpg
Not knowledgeable about hardware/cables etc I usually just plug and go. Do I have problem connecting a qmsi to my Monitor.

QBITS

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QIMSi Gold

Post by Peter »

qbits wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:24 pm Do I have problem connecting a qmsi to my Monitor.
I don't think you'll have a problem. Just use a MIniHDMI to HDMI cable :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Just a comment about the HDMI connector - isn't there a licensing issue with the HDMI connectors - I know that HDMI are unlikely to find out about the QIMSi, but worth being aware that they normally ask for a license fee to be paid to use their connector (it can be waived in some circumstances).

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

RWAP wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 am Just a comment about the HDMI connector - isn't there a licensing issue with the HDMI connectors - I know that HDMI are unlikely to find out about the QIMSi, but worth being aware that they normally ask for a license fee to be paid to use their connector (it can be waived in some circumstances).
HDMI is a protected trademark, not a "protected connector" or "protected technology". As far as I understand it, the usage of the name "HDMI" is protected. So, without paying the license fee, you can't call your connector "HDMI" and you can't use the HDMI logo. Physical layout of connectors or cabling is not protected by IPR (which would really be hard to achieve, as it's common technology). As a non-licensee, you can't access the HDMI specifications directly (which you normally don't need, as it's really no rocket science) and you can't promote your video output as "HDMI" (which Peter carefully avoided). So, Peter's video output simply isn't HDMI (because it cannot be), but just by coincidence, you can plug HDMI devices into it. I'm not a lawyer, but to my understanding, everything is alright.
Last edited by tofro on Wed May 22, 2024 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

QIMSI Gold does not provide HDMI. As stated in the manual, it just has four two-lane LVDS outputs for connection to digital monitors.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Peter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am QIMSI Gold does not provide HDMI. As stated in the manual, it just has four two-lane LVDS outputs for connection to digital monitors.
Ah that is OK then - obviously, the problem is that users may not realise what that means or what are suitable digital monitors.....