Digital Precision Limited Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Digital Precision Limited Software

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Brian,

Nice o hear from you, I used you use Success alot on a Trump Card QL in the 1990s. I bought the individual title fro Digital Precision and still have the floppy disk.

Please send me an email to: derek@q40.de and I will send you a Double Density Floppy Disk image, as the CPMFILES included with the Success distribution includes CPMFILES, which exceeds the capacity of the MDV image.

FLP image are more standard than MDV image format, all QL emulators can read the FLP image format.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

bisc67 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:53 am I (Brian Watson) wrote Success. If anyone has an mdv image of it, I'd appreciate a copy. I lost my copy a long time ago.

I'm planning on disassembling and commenting the code. It wasn't very long. Freddy Vaccha likely has a copy of the source. I don't have any contact info for him.
Hi Brian,

It is great to hear from you. You aren't related to Dave and Ann Watson who wrote some adventures for the QL are you?

As the original author, the copyright has been returned to you by Freddy some time ago, and I hope you - I have messaged him on Facebook to ask about the source codes.

I also have two copies of the software, an early version (main file called Z80_68000_cde) and a later updated version (main file called SUCCESS_68000_exe) so can also supply these files as a disk image (or for use from within q-emulator).

Are you planning on releasing the software as public domain?

It would also be good to get some information on the program added to the QL Wiki: https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id=qlwiki:success

Rich

bisc67
ROM Dongle

Post by bisc67 »

Hi Rich,

I'm not related to Dave and Ann.

TBH, I don't really remember a lot of the success code right now. I'm hoping having a look at it will refresh my memory. I do plan on disassembling and commenting the code. I have no problem with it being released to public domain, it's not like I can make money from it now :)

Over the years, I've ended up writing a number of commercial emulators. A Z80 emulator for Sega Genesis emulation on iphone/ipod; MIPS emulator for PS2 emulator for PS3 and a MIPS emulator for PS1 emulator on Android as well as embedded ARM (never released). The techniques used have changed quite a bit over the years.

Brian.
RWAP wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 am
bisc67 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:53 am I (Brian Watson) wrote Success. If anyone has an mdv image of it, I'd appreciate a copy. I lost my copy a long time ago.

I'm planning on disassembling and commenting the code. It wasn't very long. Freddy Vaccha likely has a copy of the source. I don't have any contact info for him.
Hi Brian,

It is great to hear from you. You aren't related to Dave and Ann Watson who wrote some adventures for the QL are you?

As the original author, the copyright has been returned to you by Freddy some time ago, and I hope you - I have messaged him on Facebook to ask about the source codes.

I also have two copies of the software, an early version (main file called Z80_68000_cde) and a later updated version (main file called SUCCESS_68000_exe) so can also supply these files as a disk image (or for use from within q-emulator).

Are you planning on releasing the software as public domain?

It would also be good to get some information on the program added to the QL Wiki: https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id=qlwiki:success

Rich

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

bisc67 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:08 am Hi Rich,

I'm not related to Dave and Ann.

TBH, I don't really remember a lot of the success code right now. I'm hoping having a look at it will refresh my memory. I do plan on disassembling and commenting the code. I have no problem with it being released to public domain, it's not like I can make money from it now :)
Do you have any details for Steve Sutton at all please? :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

vanpeebles wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 am
Unfortunately not - I did try to track him down, but failed.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

RWAP wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 am
vanpeebles wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 am
Unfortunately not - I did try to track him down, but failed.
Hopefully Brian might have some knowledge :)

bisc67
ROM Dongle

Post by bisc67 »

Thanks to Derek for a copy of Success.

I've just spent the week disassembling it. I likely found a number of bugs :)

Anyway, if you're interested on browsing the source, it's here. I'll be continuing to disassemble some of the utilities and improving the code comments as I go along. There's some routines I just couldn't remember what they did.

Brian