Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Breaking news: The QIMSI Interface

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:30 am Thanks to Detlef, there is an improved version of the QIMSI printed case.
The STL data can be downloaded here:
https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... 828#p61828
The new version comes with a guide for microSD card insertion and a dust cover.
I did a single case based on Detlef's design, with a detactable top, in Black Resin, which looks really good.

Regards,

Derek
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Here's a ZIP file of the STL files for the shell and back of the case in case anyone wants to print their own.

I'm going to put it onto the Thingiverse but I can't publish for 24 hours after I join.

I've added a hole for the activity light.
Attachments
QIMSI-Case.zip
(69.05 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:13 pm Here's a ZIP file of the STL files for the shell and back of the case in case anyone wants to print their own.
Thank you very much!
Interesting alternative to Detlefs design. The rounded shape reminds me of the old ROM cases.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

That was the inspiration.

Also, the protrusion into the ROM port supports the case and the PCB on the case of the QL rather than relying upon merely the springs of the edge connector, which can give connectivity issues. With this case it should be safe to touch the SD card when the machine's on.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I have two...I should make a mold and try and cast top and bottom.

ROM.jpg

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

The design is now available on the Thingiverse, search for "Sinclair QL"

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:38 pm The design is now available on the Thingiverse, search for "Sinclair QL"
Thank you. I'd love this as single piece with a closed back. Would it be possible to use the QIMSI PCB mounting holes and bolts or screws from the bottom to fix the PCB without "closing" the shell at the ROM port side?

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm afraid to do that it'd probably have to be re-engineered from the ground up. The shape of the PCB doesn't help as it goes into the ROM port leaving very little room either side, which is why it pokes out through the case either side.

jobdone
Forum Moderator

Post by jobdone »

So I tried mocking this situation up, I joined the rear plate to the main in software and extended the runners out of the front, leaving the pcb to be pushed in from the front (and then only screw holes to be required at the certain points) but the USB ports run into the top shell. I guess this could be altered. From what I see the spacing needed isn't much.
Attachments
qimsi.jpg

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Some work went into the PLAYSS demo sound player toward the 128K QL. Although the sampled sound interface was designed for a memory expanded machine, it is now at least possible to run it on a bare QL, if the filesystem container is sufficiently small. The QL internal RAM is slower, so playback may stutter a little. (PLAYSS is written in C. With optimized assembler code, this could probably be overcome.)

Updated program with sourcecode can be downloaded at the start page of this topic.