vDrive: With MDV sound? I wonder.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Popopo
Trump Card

Re: vDrive: With MDV sound? I wonder.

Post by Popopo »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 pm Actually I think I'm there, other than making a PCB and soldering the components.

I've created a new and better sample, with a higher volume and cutting out some of the peaks and then set the ATTiny85 to play at double the speed it was previously, which was already a factor of 4 faster than the sample code said it should be and...

https://youtu.be/VhUG1TIi_j8

P.S. I've only been testing this with the vDrive ZX at the moment but does it make difference to the experience! It just feels and sounds right. It's as if you're using a real Microdrive. It make soooo much difference.

I'll generate a schematic and post the code so that others can make this. Maybe Charles can change the vDrive and add this instead of the beeper? The cost of the components is probably in the region of 50p or less.
Thank you for your work.
I am looking forward to implement a sound system to the MicroDrivePico.
I was more about looking for another solution, but that one also could work fine.

May I guess it is OpenSource? (in case that I decide to add it to the PCB).

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:16 pm Here are the schematics for the vDrive sampled sound board plus source code and compiled HEX file to load onto the ATTiny85 20U.

http://www.lingula.org.uk/~steve/share/vdrive-sound/
Thank you :)

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

:)
Sorry for my ignorance,
How did you digitalize the sound into a C code?
Thanks

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I recorded it on my iPhone then converted that to a WAV file, then transcoded to 8 bit samples and a low sample rate. I've forgotten what I used now. You can then just convert each byte to a hex number to insert into a C array.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 pm The cost of the components is probably in the region of 50p or less.
I love your idea, but nowadays I cannot believe the cost of an Attiny86. Any version TH or SMD.
How is possible?

Anyway I will use it. Checking docs in the blog that describe also the idea with details.
:)
Thanks