Memory Expansion Etc.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Memory Expansion Etc.

Post by tofro »

t0nyt wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:01 am I have a 3.5" Floppy drive which I'm going to try and use (along with a GoTek) with the QL when my Trump card arrives

It's one that only needs 5v and I'll be powering them both from a 5v 2amp PSU for now (hopefully)

But I'm unclear as to whether I need to cable just the 5v & a ground, 5v and both grounds or provide 5v to both the 5v & 12v lines
The two grounds tend to be connected within the drive on most modern drives (and you wouldn't easily know which is which easily anyhow). Leave the 12V line unconnected and connect one GND. If that doesn't work (very unlikely), you should bridge to the other GND.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Many thanks Chr$ & Tofro

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Floppy cable & dual power adapter didn't arrive today, hopefully tomorrow, but the 5.25" to 3.5" adapters did arrive so have put this together (from a scrap Opus drive housing that I've stripped the faulty power from)

It's twice as deep as I needed, but saves trying to make a housing (just hope the floppy cable that's coming is long enough to reach the QL)

IMG_3534.jpeg

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Have swapped the white floppy for a black one, looks better

Floppy cable turned up and was the wrong one so I got a 1m ribbon cable and made my own

Anyway, GoTek and floppy now working fine

Was stumped formatting an img file for a while but the MacOS qltools utility in another thread sorted me out