QL compression

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Re: QL compression

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Qbits,

Where can we find your Enigma file ?

Steve.
_______

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

...if had searched the Forum, you might of found this:
viewtopic.php?p=50592#p50592

Maybe read the full thread Qbits software is excellent.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

stevepoole wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:44 am HELP ! Jan Bredenbeck's compact.zip gets supressed when downloaded, as it is 'not frequently accessed'.
Oh dear, that is not my program but written by another Dutchman (Sander Plomp) back in 1987 or so... it's Huffman-based and can be used as a filter or standalone, but don't expect high compression ratios. I'd rather go with InfoZIP.
I had no trouble downloading it from Dilwyn's archive, but here is an alternative link: https://files.bredenbeek.net/s/tnKe6zQEHy1cAJzl

Jan

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Just been reading the Qbits Enigma program pdf file, and as Derek said, it is very good software indeed.

But it was very surprising to see that the original Enigma machine only transmitted encrypted characters A to Z..... as morse !

This, together with characters 0 to 9 and space, is what my little program does, to keep code short.
The fewer the characters used, the less number of bits are needed to code them. (A form of compression ?)

The fewer the bits used, the easier it is to permutate and encrypt, and the shorter the translate table needing to be shared.

Even RSA coding requires sharing keys of several hundred digits in length too...

If we write such codes, are we allowed to use them ?

Regards, Steve.