Q68 WIN drives

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 WIN drives

Post by tofro »

dilwyn wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:57 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:58 am Hi Dilwyn
dilwyn wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:05 am Q68 received and up and running, although I immediately ran into issues.

1. I have several PS2 keyboard and mice here. Only one keyboard and mouse work, sadly they are different colours. Also, interestingly, the older ones fail to work (even after trying swapping the mouse/keyboard connections as suggested on the Forum in the past). Only the newer pair work. I did try the others on an old PC I have here, they all work fine on that, so not faulty, just not Q68 compatible.
Not all PS/2 devices are truely copmpatiable with the PS/2 standard. Most PS/2 Mouse and keyboard have work, but I guess there are many more to test. If you supply me with the make and model of the mouse and ketboard, I will have a look at any issues
[/quote
Two are unbranded keyboards, both with Made In Thailand stamped on them, but no manufacturer name or brand on them. They have PS2 plugs, not a USB+adaptor. The third keyboard is another unbranded one but with a USB plus and USB to PS2 adapter. I didn't expect this one to work. All three work fine with old Packard Bell Windows 10 PC which has PS2 connectors.

Don't suppose that the fact the ones which failed to work have numeric keypads is anything other than coincidence? Actually, a smaller keyboard suits me, since the desk isn't really wide enough for everything.

Both the mice which didn't work are also unbranded ones.
I have a number of (original PS/2, as well as mixed-mode) keyboards that refuse to work on the Q68 reliably. When I started with th Q68 years ago, I checked the current they want, and all of them that didn't work were drawing (lots, in cases) more mAmps. Q68 seems to be a bit picky on what it wants to supply as current for the keyboard, ending up in keyboard input going wild (repeating keys) or none at all. The same is true for mice as they seem to be supplied through common circuitry.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

XorA wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:51 pm Derek, have you changed your process recently, if you remember the card you sent me was slightly corrupted too!

Possibly your not flushing all the data to card?
Hi,

The previous SD Card, including your one, were created with WIN_IMAGER on a WIndows XP computer, I changed to use Linux Mint 21.1, and use the DISKS and PARTED Create/Restore Image function.

Maybe with Linux 21 .1 there were issues, so I downgrade the computer to Linux Mint 20.3, which seems to be working better. I will go back to using Windows XP as there was no real problems with that or non-reported.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:18 pm
dilwyn wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:57 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:58 am Hi Dilwyn

Not all PS/2 devices are truely copmpatiable with the PS/2 standard. Most PS/2 Mouse and keyboard have work, but I guess there are many more to test. If you supply me with the make and model of the mouse and ketboard, I will have a look at any issues
[/quote
Two are unbranded keyboards, both with Made In Thailand stamped on them, but no manufacturer name or brand on them. They have PS2 plugs, not a USB+adaptor. The third keyboard is another unbranded one but with a USB plus and USB to PS2 adapter. I didn't expect this one to work. All three work fine with old Packard Bell Windows 10 PC which has PS2 connectors.

Don't suppose that the fact the ones which failed to work have numeric keypads is anything other than coincidence? Actually, a smaller keyboard suits me, since the desk isn't really wide enough for everything.

Both the mice which didn't work are also unbranded ones.
I have a number of (original PS/2, as well as mixed-mode) keyboards that refuse to work on the Q68 reliably. When I started with th Q68 years ago, I checked the current they want, and all of them that didn't work were drawing (lots, in cases) more mAmps. Q68 seems to be a bit picky on what it wants to supply as current for the keyboard, ending up in keyboard input going wild (repeating keys) or none at all. The same is true for mice as they seem to be supplied through common circuitry.
This is what I meant, unbranded PS/2 keyboards and Mice (or Mouses...) give problems as they may not follw the PS/2 Specification correctly.

I mainly use a Perixx Periboard-409 Keyboard and Perixx Perimice 201 II 3 button Optical mouse, with no problems, though I have used other branded PS/2 Mouses and keyboards, with no real failures.

Judging by the comments, the problems may be attributed to the amount of current drawn from the Q68 to the PS/2 device. This is only a guess, I will have to find something that does not work and try and analyse the problem.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Yes, the keyboard which worked is the perixx Periboard-409. Neat little keyboard, perfect with Q68.

The mouse which worked is an old Mitsumi ECM S6702. The label had worn off over the years so I thought it was unbranded, but I happen to still have the original receipt for it which has the details. The pointer is a bit slow by default, so I'll have a look during the day if there are settings somewhere to vary that.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dilwyn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:08 am Yes, the keyboard which worked is the perixx Periboard-409. Neat little keyboard, perfect with Q68.

The mouse which worked is an old Mitsumi ECM S6702. The label had worn off over the years so I thought it was unbranded, but I happen to still have the original receipt for it which has the details. The pointer is a bit slow by default, so I'll have a look during the day if there are settings somewhere to vary that.
In the end, I found another PS/2 mouse in my junk box which is BLACK - hooray. This is an old unbranded 2 button mouse of Chinese manufacture with scroll wheel and the speed is more to my preference without having to use MOUSE_SPEED command or configuring Sysdef in Qpac2 to vary pointer speed. The scroll wheel gives ascii codes 209/217 (like ALT up and ALT down) and ctrl+scroll wheel gives ascii codes 193/201 (keyboard ALT left/right), letting me scroll through text in an editor for example with the mouse.

I'm still looking for an old stereo speaker I have somewhere to use with the Q68 to try out the sound. But starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

dilwyn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:52 pm
dilwyn wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:08 am Yes, the keyboard which worked is the perixx Periboard-409. Neat little keyboard, perfect with Q68.

In the end, I found another PS/2 mouse in my junk box which is BLACK - hooray. This is an old unbranded 2 button mouse of Chinese manufacture with scroll wheel and the speed is more to my preference without having to use MOUSE_SPEED command or configuring Sysdef in Qpac2 to vary pointer speed. The scroll wheel gives ascii codes 209/217 (like ALT up and ALT down) and ctrl+scroll wheel gives ascii codes 193/201 (keyboard ALT left/right), letting me scroll through text in an editor for example with the mouse.

I'm still looking for an old stereo speaker I have somewhere to use with the Q68 to try out the sound. But starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.
Hi,

I use the MOUSE_SPEED command in the boot file, as it is easier than the config blocks in QPAC2 SYSDEF, I awlays check the Mouse Speed settings in SYSDEF...

For Speakers, I bought from ARGOS: Trust Mila 2.0 PC Speaker Set - Black and Silver:
Q68 Speakers.png
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8651774 ... &GPDP=true

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thanks Derek. If I can't find my old speakers, I might go for one of those. The second mouse I had happens to be black with silver buttons (I have a feeling you might have sold it to me years ago with an old laptop?), so the speakers might match well.

As luck would have it, the second working mouse I found happens to give the right pointer speed for me, so I won't need to adjust it. But always useful to know how to do these things.

Showed pictures of the Q68 to my son, who is into some retro things (but not Sinclairs unfortunately). He was impressed by the compact size of it, and probably thinks it'll keep me out of mischief for a while :geek:

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Don't know if Derek keeps a list of keyboards and mice known to work or not to work with Q68 - here's some to add. Having been through both my own computer junk boxes and my son's, here's a a list of what we have which works or doesn't with Q68. If anyone acquiring a Q68 needs a working mouse or keyboard, a few of these could do with a new home just for the cost of postage.

MICE
(all 2 button, with scroll wheel except for the "Minnie Mouse")

Fujitsu M-S48 beige. Ball mouse. PS/2 plug. Works with Q68

Trust MI-1500X black PS/2 plug, ball mouse. Works with Q68

Unbranded black with silver buttons. PS/2 plug. Optical mouse. Works with Q68

Mitsumi ECM-56702 optical, PS/2 plug. Beige coloured. Optical. Works with Q68

Acer MS.1100.080 optical mouse, black, PS/2 plug. Works with Q68 (this is the one I eventually chose to use with the Q68).

Unbranded Poundland illuminated. USB plug with PS/2 adaptor. Optical mouse. Does not work with Q68, which is a pity as it's a lovely, compact mouse with a lovely, positive feel when used on PC and looks good with the illuminated body, quite remarkable value for one pound.

WWL 0221 "Minnie Mouse" Disney character mouse, blue, USB plug, no scroll wheel. Does not work with Q68.

KEYBOARDS
(all full sized with numeric keypad unless stated)

Unbranded KB0325 or KB032S (couldn't tell if it was a number 5 or letter S). Black. PS/2 plug. Numeric keypad. Works with Q68.

Acer 6512-TW. PS/2 plug. Beige coloured. Says rated 300mA which seems high for a keyboard. Works with Q68.

Xenta SK-86L backlit keyboard. Black case with white keys. USB with PS/2 adaptor. 3 blue light keyboard illumination levels, draws 170mA at full illumination, and the illumination level button on the keyboard works with Q68. Works with Q68. Looks so good this would have been my preferred Q68 keyboard were it not for the fact that 4 of the key legends have worn off.

Logitech Ultra-Flat keyboard Y-BP62a. USB with PS/2 adapter. Black. Works with Q68.

Xenta Wired Chiclet M/N-SK-094. USB with PS/2 adaptor, black, ultra compact, no LEDs for caps lock etc on PC. No numeric keypad. Works with Q68.

EZ-KB. Unbranded. Says rated current 300mA. PS/2 plug. Beige coloured. Works with Q68.

Texet 105 USB keyboard with PS/2 adaptor. Model number MB-768B. Black. Works with Q68.

Acer SK-1688 Black. PS/2 plug. Works with Q68.

Optimum 291705 white, USB+PS/2 adaptor. Does NOT work with Q68.

Accuratus KYBAC360HU-HUBBLK. USB with PS/2 adaptor. Black. Does NOT work with Q68.

SAPAC T07-30 USB with PS/2 adaptor. Tablet keyboard with folding cover stand to hold Android 7 inch screen tablet. Mini keys. No numeric keypad. Works with Q68.

Unbranded M/N KB-611 black compact keyboard, no numeric keypad. USB+PS/2 adapter. Does NOT work with Q68.

Perixx Periboard409 TK525P. PS/2 plug, black, no numeric keypad. Works with Q68. This is the one I chose for Q68.

Perixx Periboard 409-USB. USB plug and PS/2 adapter. 2-USB hub built in. No numeric keypad. Does NOT work with Q68.

Der-X 113 pocket keyboard USB with PS/2 adapter. Grey. Tiny pocket sized keyboard. Possibly faulty as I couldn't get it to work with either Q68 or PC.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Lists like the above probably ideal content for the wiki!