D-Day Games workshop

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

D-Day Games workshop

Post by Jeff$ »

Hi all,
While digging out my Thor 20 I found a few of my old disks, and just a few of my micro drives (I never had lots, maybe 20, but they seem to have disappeared mostly over the years), nothing interesting on the MD's just two copies of GST's assembler cased and a copy of ICE in a cassette case. But what I did find is an old boxed copy of D-Day by Games Workshop, doing a search on the forum and online I can't seem to find a photo of the box. The two micro-drives in the box are unlabelled, and I suspect from distant memory they may well have D-Day II on rather that the game workshop version. But before you ask what's on them I've no access to a working microdrive (I don't want to risk reverting my Thor20 to a Thor8 to access an external microdrive) to check and they'd need re-felting. So checking the contents will have to come another day.

I don't know if its scarce (so forgive me if its not), but here's the box. What I found interesting was a C-64 wiki listed that D-Day was going to be released for the C-64 but they had no proof that it existed, on the rear of the box it shows both the QL and C-64 versions. Makes me wonder if under the QL sticker is a C-64 logo, or the C-64 would have a sticker as well. Don't worry I'll not peel it off.

DDay Game Workshop (1).jpg
DDay Game Workshop (3).jpg
DDay Game Workshop (2).jpg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: D-Day Games workshop

Post by Chr$ »

Yes, I think that is pretty rare in original box like that. There is a newer version by RWAP.

For sale? You won't be able to pm yet!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

It would be good to get a hi-res image of the box on the QL Wiki :D

Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

Who do I send the photos to ?

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Jeff$ wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:37 pm Who do I send the photos to ?
I can add them to the wiki. collector (followed by normal e-mail sign) then qxl.win

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Jeff$
ROM Dongle

Post by Jeff$ »

Sent front and rear, the spine is boring.

Is the manual available online ?, if so will compare to the one in the box and see if any differences. May confirm if its DDay or DDay II on the cartridges. Did Games Workshop pull the original version ?.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Got it thanks.

It should be the original version on boxed mdvs like that. Don't try them out without re-felting though, it would be a shame for them to be damaged from disintegrating felt pads.

I don't think there is a manual online. Maybe RWAP has one though, as he no doubt provides it with the newer floppy version.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Hmm, I still can't add images to the wiki. It kicks me out after failing. There was an issue that I thought had been solved since a server update, but no, it's the same as before (first time I attempted to add images since the change).

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Jeff$ wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:26 pm Sent front and rear, the spine is boring.

Is the manual available online ?, if so will compare to the one in the box and see if any differences. May confirm if its DDay or DDay II on the cartridges. Did Games Workshop pull the original version ?.
There is no scan of the original manual - I had to re-write it by hand for D-Day MKII.

Games Workshop didn't pull the original - they allowed CGH Services (and later me) to offer D-Day MKII as both an upgrade and stand-alone version.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Chr$ wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:39 pm Hmm, I still can't add images to the wiki. It kicks me out after failing. There was an issue that I thought had been solved since a server update, but no, it's the same as before (first time I attempted to add images since the change).
Rob Heaton did fix this after the recent server/host upgrade/migration. There was a problem deep in the bowels of the Dokuwiki configuration. I remember testing and all was well.

However, I have uploaded a new image this morning, and added a photo of my book's cover to https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?i ... man_dunbar and that worked. However, as my user also has admin rights, I created a new test user and used that to upload another image, a portrait of myself (!) and added that to the same page. That also worked.

I checked your account, chr, and you have "writer" privileges, as does my test user, so you should be able to upload images, Just in case, and apologies in advance:
  • Edit the page.
  • Click on the "upload/insert image" button.
  • In the dialogue, choose a "namespace" for the upload. I used playground, but there are others more suitable for real Wiki stuff.
  • Click "Select Files", navigate and select file(s) to upload.
  • Click "Upload".
  • Wait....
  • Click "Done".
  • When the dialogue displays images to insert, your now uploads should be there. Click it.
  • Choose the link target, the image size options and the alignment options from the 4 by 4 icon grid that results.
  • That's it. The image should be inserted.
If you still don't have the upload ability, what happens, and whee, when you follow the above baby steps. And again, apologies for insulting your intelligence with this!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.