QSound and QPrint Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: QSound and QPrint Interface

Post by aalea »

mk79 wrote:Damn, I overcorrected and introduced another bug this way that can corrupt basic, sorry! :( I attached 1.91 which should finally boot fine on all OS and with all TK2 versions... not sure about the "no sound is happening", but as basic might be subtly corrupted I cannot be 100% sure the commands were executed at all. At least I don't find any obvious problems in the hardware code, which was lifted out of the original ROM anyway.
This ROM boot ok in all combination of ROM and TK2, this is good.

The bad is tha continue with the other problems, the PSG do not emit any sound. Perhaps some inicialization of the 6821 is missing?

I need to write any command to configure the correct chip, quantity, stereo, etc....?

The same with the problem of "out of range"
mk79 wrote:Hmm, works for me in QPC all the time. QPC and my QSound ROM share 99% of the code, but as QPC simulates two chips there could be subtle differences in this aspect.
In my test on sqlux emulator, there is no error, and the sample programs work, I start to think in that my QL is faulty in some weird way, because I check again and again the schematic of the Qsound and can not find any issue (also other command work good with the original rom).

hopefully Derek can finish his board soon and we can have another board to test.

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

I was wondering... why I do not get the error in the emulator, so go back to my QL, remove the ROM from the board and put in a external cartridge, deactivate the internal TK2 and ... work, and no "out of range" error, I test with the orignal 1.30 rom and with 1.91 and both work without error (no sound, but this time I assumed that because ROM and I/O are in diferent range.

So, by now, forget about this error, I think there is some wrong in my card, I need time to check track by track what happend.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

The bad is tha continue with the other problems, the PSG do not emit any sound. Perhaps some inicialization of the 6821 is missing?
Good point! There are a few completely undocumented initialization lines in the original sources. I don't have the time to check what they actually do, but I included them in the attached ROM.

Also, I fixed the I/O address to $C2000 in this versions, so you can experiment with the ROM in different places. I currently cannot imagine where the OOR error is coming from, though. The PLAY command doesn't even access the hardware, it just prepares the commands for the polled interrupt to execute. And the polled interrupt cannot return any error. Very curious, but difficult to debug without the hardware.
Last edited by mk79 on Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

aalea wrote:hopefully Derek can finish his board soon and we can have another board to test.
I have still to do some work on the VIA replacements, where the previous owner heated the board too much, and pulled he through plating out. Fortuneatly the work is easy to do.

I am also going to order some PCBs, from your Gerber files.

Regards,

Derek
aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
aalea wrote:hopefully Derek can finish his board soon and we can have another board to test.
I have still to do some work on the VIA replacements, where the previous owner heated the board too much, and pulled he through plating out. Fortuneatly the work is easy to do.
Can you (or somebody that have the original board) send pictures of the PCB, I'm interested in the botton of the board, there are some text (a name) that are not show in the pictures we have, and I can not transfer it to my design.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I am also going to order some PCBs, from your Gerber files.
Please, wait, because I suspect that en oor error are related to some problem in the PCB.

I can send you 1 of my PCB by postal mail, (it have some minor errors already detected) but not sure about the cost of custom from EU to UK.

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

aalea wrote: Can you (or somebody that have the original board) send pictures of the PCB, I'm interested in the botton of the board....
I have only physical access to mine end of next week. If no one has shared a picture, I am happy to do so. Also, if Chri$ may help me with an Eprom I am happy to try the new code and see whether I can reproduce the issues.

Cheers,

Stephan

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

aalea wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Can you (or somebody that have the original board) send pictures of the PCB, I'm interested in the botton of the board, there are some text (a name) that are not show in the pictures we have, and I can not transfer it to my design.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I am also going to order some PCBs, from your Gerber files.
Please, wait, because I suspect that en oor error are related to some problem in the PCB.

I can send you 1 of my PCB by postal mail, (it have some minor errors already detected) but not sure about the cost of custom from EU to UK.
Here is some pictures taken with my mobile phone.
QSound Top
QSound Top
QSound top
QSound top
Qsound Bottom
Qsound Bottom
The damage to the board looks to be the voltage regulator through plating, which I will get repaired also with the tracks. Some of the soldered joints looks like they need cleaned up.

Do not worry about the PCB, I wil get the old one working.
Maskenlos wrote:
aalea wrote: Can you (or somebody that have the original board) send pictures of the PCB, I'm interested in the botton of the board....
I have only physical access to mine end of next week. If no one has shared a picture, I am happy to do so. Also, if Chri$ may help me with an Eprom I am happy to try the new code and see whether I can reproduce the issues.

Cheers,

Stephan
Can you get a Rom image of the Rom?

I can do this if requird.

I remember asking Jochen Merz at a Quanta Workshop I organised, in the 1990s about the Qsound board and software, which he did not want to talk about it.

Regards,

Derek
Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Can you get a Rom image of the Rom?
Usually I ask Chri$ if it comes to Roms. Very gentle and helpful person. Or is there any way to get this image with the QL? Then of course I can do this.
Let me first check the Rom Version I have and also let me check if the errors reported in this thread also happen in my case.

Stephan

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Here is some pictures taken with my mobile phone.
Thanks You, this solve my question about the texts on the PCB.

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

mk79 wrote:
Good point! There are a few completely undocumented initialization lines in the original sources. I don't have the time to check what they actually do, but I included them in the attached ROM.

Also, I fixed the I/O address to $C2000 in this versions, so you can experiment with the ROM in different places. I currently cannot imagine where the OOR error is coming from, though. The PLAY command doesn't even access the hardware, it just prepares the commands for the polled interrupt to execute. And the polled interrupt cannot return any error. Very curious, but difficult to debug without the hardware.
YES!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , this time everything work, it boot, sound, and the play command work as expected (when rom is on cartridge slot, I suspect a false solder in one of the address line of my PCB, but not check yet).

I was able to run the basic files that silvester upload, but I need to modify it, apart from change the sound command to sound_ay,
I need to modify de strings, for example in menuett_bas I need to change the line 300 from:

Code: Select all

300 m3$='sv14l'&sp
to

Code: Select all

300 m3$='v14l'&sp&'r1r2'
because the s in all the channel at the beginning indicate the chanel to wait for other, but no one start the playing.

what I was not be able to do is test the ayplayer and the qsound device, because i do not know how to launch the program, when I have TK2, i can do something like

ex mdv1_ayplayer mdv1_music_pt3

but without TK2 (because I need the place for the qsound ROM) i only get bad name error in all my tryouts. :(